• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Idontexist's solenopsis journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 17 2021 - 5:17 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
17 june. 2021.

the progress. I caught two workers of other colonies for her... Is that unethical?
Caught two males. They died. guess its up to the queen laying eggs in a small great value water bottle. while dead bodies sit there with piles of eggs i will update this when those nanitics hatch

#2 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 17 2021 - 5:20 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I assume that they will outgrow their water bottle. fast. I need a actual formicarium FOR LESS THAN 10 PESO or cheap

#3 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 17 2021 - 5:22 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Because i can't obtain. That much money that fast. My parents are in a economical crisis he lost his job and he needs to find a new one. Why don't you guys help?

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 17 2021 - 5:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Triple post
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted June 17 2021 - 5:34 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I use a tubes and tub setup. All you need is a plastic bin and you place your Test tube in it. I use fine sand to prevent the tubes from rolling. Some other people use plaster and mold the plaster so the test tube doesn't roll. You can also you tape or sticky tack to prevent your tube from rolling. It's fairly cheap and you can just keep adding tubs until your box is full. The test tube acts as their nest and the rest of their tub is their out world, in which you can offer food to your ants.

I say test tube, but you can use more water bottles if that works. You will just need to manage hydration differently. Along with your protein and carb source, offering water would be helpful so your ants have access to water.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#6 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 18 2021 - 4:18 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
june 18 2021

i brought a piece of toilet paper wet it. The queen likes it.. The rest of it. Goes to peso the budgie

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 4:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

june 18 2021

i brought a piece of toilet paper wet it. The queen likes it.. The rest of it. Goes to peso the budgie

What’s the point of this? I think you need to grow up some before using a forum, let alone keeping ants.
  • Manitobant, Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 19 2021 - 11:26 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

june 18 2021

What’s the point of this? I think you need to grow up some before using a forum, let alone keeping ants.
I agree. If your parents are in a economic crisis this is a terrible time to get into this hobby as it isn’t a super cheap one.
  • Manitobant, Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#9 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 19 2021 - 8:22 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

june 18 2021

I agree. If your parents are in a economic crisis this is a terrible time to get into this hobby as it isn’t a super cheap one.
i think he said he found a job

#10 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted June 19 2021 - 9:15 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
The wet toilet paper sounds like an attempt to hydrate the queen. However, I don't really understand the rest of his message. I guess he has a pet budgie.

He mentioned being from Mexico, so maybe it is a language barrier issue. However, your, Idontexist, messages can be difficult to understand at times. Also, you have a strange habit of repeating a message twice. Whatever the issue is, I'd think the forum would appreciate if you planned your responses more carefully and some proofreading.

I hope I don't sound rude. Communication isn't always easy. My messages are not always clear as I'd like like to be. Proofreading helps to create clear messages. If it is a troll, then oops.

Edited by MrPurpleB, June 20 2021 - 11:03 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#11 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 19 2021 - 9:35 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I'm not trying to be rude, but I would get out of this hobby. You seem like your family is poorer, and antkeeping is very financially draining. You won’t find a formicarium for that cheap as well. Most of us spend thousands of dollars per year on our ants.

Edited by Manitobant, June 19 2021 - 9:36 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#12 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 20 2021 - 8:41 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Yes, I agree with Manitobant, scince you said your family is having issues with money, this would not be the best time to do something that can possibly cost everything you have. Maybe when your your money issues decrease then you can come back to this hobby. Also, not saying to just leave the forum, but just make sure your posts are grammarly revised (I actually feel so bad because I had to go through what your going through when I was younger).

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#13 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 20 2021 - 9:09 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm not trying to be rude, but I would get out of this hobby. You seem like your family is poorer, and antkeeping is very financially draining. You won’t find a formicarium for that cheap as well. Most of us spend thousands of dollars per year on our ants.

Thousands per year? I really don't think so for many people. Maybe a couple hundred? Unless you are getting tons of THA formicariums, and have lots of colonies, it doesnt have to be that expensive. Tubs and tubes setups are quite cheap.

• MrPurpleB, Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and 4 others like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#14 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted June 20 2021 - 9:19 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Thousands per year? I really don't think so for many people. Maybe a couple hundred? Unless you are getting tons of THA formicariums, and have lots of colonies, it doesnt have to be that expensive. Tubs and tubes setups are quite cheap.
I agree with this. Ant-keeping expenses depends on how much the person wants to spend. Tubs and tubes work quite, it just would not be aesthetically pleasing as THA. I personally find a tub and red sand to be quite appealing on it's own. The most expensive aspect would be maintaining feeders if planning to keep any or fluon as a first time purchase. Depending on well the fluon is applied, it can last for a long time. Of course there are more insect barriers out there.

Edited by MrPurpleB, June 20 2021 - 11:05 AM.

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and 3 others like this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2021 - 10:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I agree. Keeping ants doesn’t have to be expensive. It can even be profitable if you figure out how to sell colonies. Money is not the issue with this thread.
  • MrPurpleB, Skwiggledork, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#16 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted June 20 2021 - 2:22 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California
You could keep ants for years under 50 dollars if you really want to.

Get a 100 pack of plastic test tubes and a couple hundred cotton balls, and you’ve got all the formicariums you’ll ever need for under 20 dollars. Yeah it’s not the prettiest but it works. Next, grab a cheap 15 dollar blacklight. Not only can you use it to find queens but you can also find moths and other flying insects as feeders. Freeze the excess for reserves when you can’t blacklight. Grab a couple jars of honey for 10 dollars and maybe some sand or other decorations with the remaining five dollars. The only thing you really need to resupply is the honey which quite literally lasts forever. And remember that blacklight? Any excess queen ants you catch could be sold for some money. Without too much effort you’d be able to make more money from ant keeping, instead of the reverse.
  • MrPurpleB, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#17 Offline Idontexist - Posted July 4 2021 - 1:43 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
4 of july.

This news is terrible. Horrible. i found the queen dead. i must say. I dropped my ice cream this same Day. First time.
I hate my life now
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#18 Offline Idontexist - Posted November 14 2021 - 7:43 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Uhh hey. Long time no see. I just bought myself some small animal hábitat. Comes with a lid that can be opened and closed like a door. And some holes for air. I think I'm gonna start again

#19 Offline Idontexist - Posted November 21 2021 - 11:02 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Update. Today i saw a bunch of winged ants with large butts so of course they where queens cuz big butt and wings so i caught them 🙂 i hope they are fertile
  • Antkeeper01 and eea like this

#20 Offline Idontexist - Posted November 21 2021 - 12:22 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I found them to be monomorium they are digging :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users