• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Suspected Fertile Queen ID

queen identification id

Best Answer Aaron567 , June 17 2021 - 7:49 AM

Invasive Solenopsis, probably the hybrid species Solenopsis invicta richteri given your more northern location. The hybrids dominate that area.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline hestoncv - Posted June 17 2021 - 6:06 AM

hestoncv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I recently got an interest in ant keeping and realized to start a colony I needed a queen, and it seems to be the perfect time because of all the flying ants out. I caught what I think is a queen without her wings on a float in the pool. Can someone help me ID it and tell me if I am wrong about it being a queen? Thank you so much, penny for size comparison, and I live in North-east Mississippi, United States.QueenAnt1.jpg QueenAnt2.jpg

#2 Offline hestoncv - Posted June 17 2021 - 6:16 AM

hestoncv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Also, how long until eggs start showing up? Thank you, happy to join the community

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 17 2021 - 7:46 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

It is a queen, not sure on species. And to answer your new question, that depends on the individual and how stressed out they are and how good the conditions are.

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 17 2021 - 7:49 AM   Best Answer

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Invasive Solenopsis, probably the hybrid species Solenopsis invicta richteri given your more northern location. The hybrids dominate that area.

• AnthonyP163, Manitobant and KadinB like this

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 17 2021 - 8:37 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Seconding Solenopsis invicta x richteri

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 17 2021 - 8:40 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I agree with Aaron, Solenopsis invicta x richteri.

#7 Offline hestoncv - Posted June 17 2021 - 10:57 AM

hestoncv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Yall are awesome thanks! Can you tell me what made you choose such a specific species? From what I'm reading that's a fire ant and they have a reddish hue, this one seems much darker.

#8 Offline hestoncv - Posted June 17 2021 - 10:58 AM

hestoncv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Seconding Solenopsis invicta x richteri

I agree with Aaron, Solenopsis invicta x richteri.

Crazy yall can pick it out like that

#9 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 17 2021 - 11:40 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Yall are awesome thanks! Can you tell me what made you choose such a specific species? From what I'm reading that's a fire ant and they have a reddish hue, this one seems much darker.

Solenopsis richteri is a species similar to S. invicta, except it's black rather than red. When S. richteri was introduced to the US it hybridized with S. invicta. This hybrid is now found in Tennessee, the northern halves of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, and the eastern bit of Arkansas. Within the areas that it occurs it's pretty common.

The hybrid is pretty recognizable since it's a lot darker than normal invicta, and workers (especially majors) often have large orange spots on the front of the gaster. This darker color and orange spots also applies to regular non-hybridized richteri, but it's still safe to say that this is the hybrid. This is because pure richteri barely exists in the US anymore, if at all, due to them all hybridizing with the usually more abundant S. invicta.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, June 17 2021 - 11:42 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#10 Offline Idontexist - Posted June 17 2021 - 1:27 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
that is a queen. Look at the thorax and the kim kardashian world class buttocks
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#11 Offline hestoncv - Posted June 17 2021 - 1:37 PM

hestoncv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Solenopsis richteri is a species similar to S. invicta, except it's black rather than red. When S. richteri was introduced to the US it hybridized with S. invicta. This hybrid is now found in Tennessee, the northern halves of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, and the eastern bit of Arkansas. Within the areas that it occurs it's pretty common.

The hybrid is pretty recognizable since it's a lot darker than normal invicta, and workers (especially majors) often have large orange spots on the front of the gaster. This darker color and orange spots also applies to regular non-hybridized richteri, but it's still safe to say that this is the hybrid. This is because pure richteri barely exists in the US anymore, if at all, due to them all hybridizing with the usually more abundant S. invicta.

Love it, you know your [censored]. That reply instantly convinced me, I've also noticed ants with the orange spots. Thank you

#12 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 17 2021 - 2:41 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

There is no guarantee that just from the general area given it is the invicta x richteri hybrid, but never the less it is Solenopsis invicta or richteri...I personally looking at the images given and their quality would go with richteri.  

• TennesseeAnts and hestoncv like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen, identification, id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users