• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can you boost a termite pair with workers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Cityantsrcool - Posted June 13 2021 - 11:45 AM

Cityantsrcool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
I have a Termite colony with a secondary queen but I haven’t seen much development from them (Secondary king). I was wondering if I could give a subterranean termite pair a few workers or if it would only work with eggs and nymphs.

#2 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 13 2021 - 12:40 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Well, be sure if you try you have the same species.   https://entnemdept.u...bterraneans.htm

For most of these you might need a soldier to see mandibles for species identification.  

#3 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 13 2021 - 8:19 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I've tried but it didn't work out for me. Somehow the pair killed the introduced termites instead of the other way around

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Chickalo likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 14 2021 - 7:58 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It works, sometimes. I got a group of dealates to found successfully by boosting them with a group of foreign workers. Probably your experience would depend on what species is involved.

• ANTS_KL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users