• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Neoniger Brood Boosting Issues

lasius neoniger brood boosting issues worker queen pupae pupa larvae larva egg aphidicola parasite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TBsupra33 - Posted June 9 2021 - 3:52 PM

TBsupra33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

So a few weeks back i caught 5 Lasius aphidicola queens thinking they were neoniger. I had told my anting buddy about my predicament before i had decided to let them go, as i did not have the means to start a parasite colony (my lasius queen only has eggs right now). Well my buddy decided to take initiative and handed me tube of brood and workers today for my parasite queens when he came over... i guess i can brood boost my queen, but i noticed another problem, the pupating cocoons are twice the size of the workers he scooped up along with  :facepalm: there are some smaller cocoons, and some larvae as well, but I'm pretty sure these huge ones are alates. so i have several questions, are male alate cocoons the same size as female alate cocoons? should i only use the small cocoons and larvae to brood boost? should i keep the big cocoons and release them during their nuptial flights? is there anyway to get these new workers to accept the queen? I've never even brood boosted before, and now i really don't know what to do, so any help is appreciated!

Ponera Pennsylvanica

Lasius Speculiventris

Lasius Americanus

Camponotus Novaeborcensis

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Tetramorium Immigrans

Temnothorax Curvispinosus

Formica Subsericea

Formica Pallidefulva

and several other Invertebrates! (tarantulas, shrimp, crayfish, isopods, springtails)

#2 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 9 2021 - 4:00 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Could you pls provide pictures of the brood?

Edited by MinigunL5, June 9 2021 - 4:01 PM.

#3 Offline TBsupra33 - Posted June 9 2021 - 4:11 PM

TBsupra33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

blue arrows point out the workers so you can see their size, red arrow point to a smaller cocoon that hopefully is a worker unless male alate cocoons are smaller. sorry the tube is dirty, he got alot of stuff in there 

edit - hold on I'm not sure why it didn't post the picture

Edited by TBsupra33, June 9 2021 - 4:12 PM.

Ponera Pennsylvanica

Lasius Speculiventris

Lasius Americanus

Tetramorium Immigrans

Formica Subsericea

Formica Pallidefulva

and several other Invertebrates! (tarantulas, shrimp, crayfish, isopods, springtails)

#4 Offline TBsupra33 - Posted June 9 2021 - 4:12 PM

TBsupra33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

here we go, I'm an idiot lol

Attached Images

• brood.jpg

Ponera Pennsylvanica

Lasius Speculiventris

Lasius Americanus

Tetramorium Immigrans

Formica Subsericea

Formica Pallidefulva

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, neoniger, brood, boosting, issues, worker, queen, pupae, pupa, larvae, larva, egg, aphidicola, parasite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users