• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

any ideas on how this happened?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crazycow - Posted June 8 2021 - 8:53 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

so i went to check up on my ant queens and i found my hypoponera queen on the cotton and at first i thought it was just sitting there but quickly realized it was dead in almost perfect conditions. any ideas on 1. how it got out? and 2. how it could have died so perfectly like this? 

IMG_9188.jpg

IMG_9193.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

#2 Offline Crazycow - Posted June 8 2021 - 8:55 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

side note is idk why the pics are so weird looking on here. they are much better on my phone.

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 8 2021 - 9:10 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Could be fresh dead and I assume when you say cotton you are talking about the cotton used to plug the tube; which would mean she had the lesser side of humidity of the tube.

#4 Offline Crazycow - Posted June 8 2021 - 9:11 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

yes she was on the outside of the tube dead

#5 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 9 2021 - 4:28 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Ok, well, first some questions: did the queen have eggs or possibly any workers? Did she seem stuck on the cotton at all? And this question I don't know will help or not but, how was she acting before she escaped and died? 

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#6 Offline Crazycow - Posted June 9 2021 - 5:37 AM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton
I’m not really sure because hypoponera have terrible traction so they can’t stick to glass so I had to put dirt in there. I have no idea if she ever laid eggs

#7 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 9 2021 - 6:22 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

So you said she was on the outside of the test tube set up dead. Did you pry her off? If you did, did it seem at all that there were any cotton silk strings on her leg trapping her?

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#8 Offline Crazycow - Posted June 9 2021 - 8:07 AM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton
She literally fell of into my hand. All of her legs were flat out and she was really perfectly preserved.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 9 2021 - 8:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
She slipped out of the cotton and dehydrated. Pack the cotton much tighter in the future!
  • UtahAnts and azzaaazzzz00 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline Crazycow - Posted June 9 2021 - 9:14 AM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton
Oh okay. Good to know

#11 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted June 9 2021 - 11:20 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

She slipped out of the cotton and dehydrated. Pack the cotton much tighter in the future!

Yes, what ANTdrew said.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, June 9 2021 - 11:20 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users