• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Does fish food make mealworms pink?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 6 2021 - 3:45 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Yesterday I tried feeding my mealworms fish food (which are a pink color) to see if they will eat them, they did eat it and the next day some of them are pink! Do mealworms turn into the color of the food they eat? Will this harm my ants? (and before you say it, yes I'm stupid)

Edited by SYUTEO, June 6 2021 - 3:55 AM.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted June 6 2021 - 4:28 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Hmm That's quite interesting. I would assume it depends on the fish food – if it's not harmful to ants then I doubt the mealworms who ate it will be harmful.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 6 2021 - 4:59 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Hmm That's quite interesting. I would assume it depends on the fish food – if it's not harmful to ants then I doubt the mealworms who ate it will be harmful.

Well, since I feed that fish food to my feeder roaches the whole time, I think the pink mealworms will not be harmful to my ants. I was still wondering why the mealworms turned pink but not the roaches.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users