• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole queen question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Marcusantguy - Posted May 28 2021 - 10:59 AM

Marcusantguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay Florida
So today I was feeding a bigheaded ant colony in my yard and put of nowhere during the feeding frenzy a wined female alate walks out of the nest and just kind of walks around. I kept her just in case but ciuld ahe possibly be mated? I haven't notuced any nuptial flight activity recently due to drought so I'm very confused.

#2 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted May 28 2021 - 11:26 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Probably not mated, most likely just coming out to see what’s happening.
We don’t talk about that

#3 Offline Marcusantguy - Posted May 28 2021 - 2:25 PM

Marcusantguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes that would make sense but she doesnt seem to want to return to the nest... I guess ill just keep her fir the hell of it.

#4 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 28 2021 - 2:41 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Yes that would make sense but she doesnt seem to want to return to the nest... I guess ill just keep her fir the hell of it.

You should return her to the colony to give her a chance to start her own colony one day. If you keep her and she is unmated she will die.

#5 Offline Marcusantguy - Posted May 28 2021 - 3:13 PM

Marcusantguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yep I gave it another try and was accepted at the gate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users