• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus next to house

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 27 2021 - 2:54 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

So does anyone know of some camp species that if near a house would not go after it or is that a wild dream of mine. Also I want to start a project to eradicate the invasive species in my yard and want to bring in native species so what is the morality of artificialy bringing in native species. Thanks!

• PetsNotPests likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#2 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted May 27 2021 - 3:05 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

I hate the stupid Argentine ants in my yard. There where once 2 Pogonomyrmex colonies, and they attacked and killed them. I'd love to help you get them out. I have released a few Monomorium colonies in my yard, but I don't know what happened to them. I occasionally see a worker or 2, but have been unsuccessful in locating the nests. 

• ZTYguy likes this

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#3 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted May 27 2021 - 3:19 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

So does anyone know of some camp species that if near a house would not go after it or is that a wild dream of mine. Also I want to start a project to eradicate the invasive species in my yard and want to bring in native species so what is the morality of artificialy bringing in native species. Thanks!

From what I have heard most carpenter ants tend to prefer decaying or moist wood. As long as the house isn't damaged already or breaking apart it might be fine.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can confirm or deny this.
  • ZTYguy likes this

#4 Offline gs5248 - Posted May 27 2021 - 4:09 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I was also doing the same thing! I am raising some species native to Natomas, and then will eventually release them to help combat the argentine ants and tetramorium, which I think prenelopis imparis will do especially well at,

#5 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 27 2021 - 5:23 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCalif.

You really have to research and figure out what is in your area now. If you introduce species that are native, but are not in your area anymore it can disrupt the ecosystem.

#6 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted May 27 2021 - 5:49 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

The Argentines and Tetramorium wiped out the native ants before, they'll just do it again. The only way to have a native species and to keep a native species is to plant native plants. While the Argentines and Tetramorium might be the best with your typical suburban plants, no species is better suited to native plants than native ants. Pretty much if you want to re-introduce native ants, plant native plants. "Native ants go with native plants." Additionally, native plants have a plethora of benefits for all native wildlife, especially insects (if you want to get people okay with a native project, just say it helps the pollinators). Not to mention most are pretty easy to care for. Maybe the occasional watering at most.

Edited by JamesJohnson, May 27 2021 - 5:49 PM.

• gcsnelling, MrPurpleB, Kaelwizard and 3 others like this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2021 - 2:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The Argentines and Tetramorium wiped out the native ants before, they'll just do it again. The only way to have a native species and to keep a native species is to plant native plants. While the Argentines and Tetramorium might be the best with your typical suburban plants, no species is better suited to native plants than native ants. Pretty much if you want to re-introduce native ants, plant native plants. "Native ants go with native plants." Additionally, native plants have a plethora of benefits for all native wildlife, especially insects (if you want to get people okay with a native project, just say it helps the pollinators). Not to mention most are pretty easy to care for. Maybe the occasional watering at most.

AMEN! Finally someone else who gets this message.
  • Kaelwizard likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 28 2021 - 5:39 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

AMEN! Finally someone else who gets this message.

I was reading his post like "This person is exactly like ANTdrew!"

• ANTdrew likes this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2021 - 7:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Here's a link to plan what native plants to add for your state: https://www.xerces.o...nter/california

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 28 2021 - 7:47 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Thank you all for the responses and yes i do plan on planting native plants as i already have a semi native garden for when monarch butturflies come around. I am also starting another plot specific to native plants. I do under stand that the only way to keep native ants in the area is native plants. I wouldn't just get queens and yeet them into my yard without any place safe from anything and that is my intention. Get queens, put them in my native plant graden which is isolated and eventually they should grow and prosper.

• MrPurpleB and PetsNotPests like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users