• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What's the best way to move a Messor Barbarus queen into a new test tube?

messor barabarus queen test tube

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline TBsupra33 - Posted May 14 2021 - 8:50 PM

TBsupra33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Hey guys, first post! i acquired a Messor Barbarus queen this week with 6 nanitics, and several stages of brood, my first queen/colony as well, but the water supply was out by the time i got it. I've had them hooked up to an AntsCanada test tube portal with another test tube attached with clean water in hopes they would move on their own, but its been two days and no luck. i know they are super sensitive to light and vibration, so there goes the only two ways i know of to move ants "forcibly" (using a flashlight while covering new tube, or dumping her into the new tube like the guy i got her from suggested). is there a better way to get them to move? have i not waited long enough and they just need more time? id hate for them to die of dehydration cause they refused to leave what is essentially their claustral cell. any input is greatly appreciated!

Ponera Pennsylvanica

Lasius Speculiventris

Lasius Americanus

Camponotus Novaeborcensis

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Tetramorium Immigrans

Temnothorax Curvispinosus

Formica Subsericea

Formica Pallidefulva

and several other Invertebrates! (tarantulas, shrimp, crayfish, isopods, springtails)

#2 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 14 2021 - 8:55 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCalif.

They will move when they feel the need, workers will still go to the other tube for water so don't work about them not getting water. The cotton can hold a surprising amount of water and still look dry, so chances are that the cotton is still wet and they will move when it fully dries out.

• Barristan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: messor, barabarus, queen, test, tube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users