• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

queen wasps?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted May 7 2021 - 5:05 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I went anting and I saw a large Polistes dominula (I couldn’t catch it but I’m going back tomorrow to see if I can find more). Would it probably have been a queen or a worker judging by the time of the year? Also are there any queen bumblebees flying now in California?

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, May 7 2021 - 5:06 PM.

My YouTube channel :)

#2 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted May 7 2021 - 5:07 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Also when can you find Vespula queens? I haven’t seen any yet but maybe I’m just not looking in the right places

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 7 2021 - 5:30 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
1. Yes, probably a queen

2. Yes, i saw a Bombus ternarius queen today, so they are probably flying around there too.

3. You can find them around now, I usually find them near wooden posts or places with wood that the chew, however they can be found pretty much anywhere.
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this

#4 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted May 7 2021 - 11:07 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

1. Yes, probably a queen

2. Yes, i saw a Bombus ternarius queen today, so they are probably flying around there too.

3. You can find them around now, I usually find them near wooden posts or places with wood that the chew, however they can be found pretty much anywhere.

thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users