• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello

introduction

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jessehuisken - Posted April 17 2021 - 2:00 PM

jessehuisken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello from Toronto Canada,

last fall I collected 5 queens while doing research on carpenter bees. I'm keeping them in large plastic jugs and keeping them hydrated and sheltered with 2ml centrifuge tubes. I have some clear tube for them as the colony grows. Still waiting to see which will produce successful colonies. Looking forward to learning more...

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 17 2021 - 2:11 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your queens!

#3 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 17 2021 - 9:23 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

Welcome! 

If you have any questions. I don't know SH#$ but someone else probably knows 

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 18 2021 - 9:53 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

last fall I collected 5 queens while doing research on carpenter bees. I'm keeping them in large plastic jugs and keeping them hydrated and sheltered with 2ml centrifuge tubes. I have some clear tube for them as the colony grows. Still waiting to see which will produce successful colonies. Looking forward to learning more...

Welcome! What species of queens did you come across?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 18 2021 - 11:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

deleted

Edited by ANTdrew, April 19 2021 - 4:52 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 18 2021 - 8:10 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Welcome!

Please refrain from posts like this that contribute nothing to the forum.

Welcoming a member? that's literally the point of this part of the forums. how about you stop being such a bully. - Your post did contribute something. Negativity. Good job. - great welcoming experience. I'm sure your brave efforts will bring in the masses

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 19 2021 - 3:11 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Welcome!

Welcoming a member? that's literally the point of this part of the forums. how about you stop being such a bully. - Your post did contribute something. Negativity. Good job. - great welcoming experience. I'm sure your brave efforts will bring in the masses

He's a mod I'm pretty sure and a well known and well respected member. He meant the second part of your post, not the "Welcome!" part. It was unneeded and it would probably put me off if I just joined.

Edited by Kaelwizard, April 19 2021 - 3:12 AM.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 19 2021 - 4:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

JoeByron, I'm sorry if I came off as negative, and maybe I overreacted a bit. It is just that the past few months on this forum, we've seen a lot of members using the forum in ways that many of us feel have degraded it. We all want this to be a positive place for learning and discourse.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 19 2021 - 3:26 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Welcome!

He's a mod I'm pretty sure and a well known and well respected member. He meant the second part of your post, not the "Welcome!" part. It was unneeded and it would probably put me off if I just joined.

I did just join, so from a "just joined" perspective, the aggression level is the biggest put off. not people being human. And if he is a mod, they should change his tag from "advanced user"

JoeByron, I'm sorry if I came off as negative, and maybe I overreacted a bit. It is just that the past few months on this forum, we've seen a lot of members using the forum in ways that many of us feel have degraded it. We all want this to be a positive place for learning and discourse.

I forgive you for over reacting a bit, I'm a newcomer, I should be more observant for awhile. I won't post anymore for a bit. Just lurk I guess or use my other forums. I will do better at containing my personality, it is admittedly large 

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 19 2021 - 3:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry, bro. Let’s just hug it out, ok? I’ll get you a beer or queen next you come to VA, whatever comes first.
  • JoeByron likes this

#11 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 19 2021 - 10:50 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Sorry, bro. Let’s just hug it out, ok? I’ll get you a beer or queen next you come to VA, whatever comes first.

I'll get the second round (( HUG ))

#12 Offline jessehuisken - Posted April 20 2021 - 1:04 PM

jessehuisken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Welcome! What species of queens did you come across?

Hello AntsDekota,

I suspect they are one of the three acrobat ants, Crematogaster cerci, C. lineolata and C. vermiculata. I hesitate to try and key my queens, since they just most laid eggs in the last week. My next issue will be trying to find a solid and fine mesh to provide some ventilation for them.

• AntsDakota and ZTYguy like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introduction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users