• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ZTY’s Camponotus us-ca02 Journal

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 7 2021 - 10:53 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I am very excited to introduce this trio of queens I got in the mail today. They are hands down my favorite species of Camponotus in the world. I love their colors and how abnormaly large they are. Its funny, I have them in an incubator next to my one sansabeanus queen and they are so much larger then her. They are about 13/16 of an inch while my sansabeanus is only 10/16 of an inch. Well enough rambling from my excitement. Here they are:

0A3C1FE8-5A85-4DA1-8812-EBEB8DE38D24.jpeg
9E702FA5-0200-4ED0-A213-1035F87F5974.jpeg

I’ll get better photos when the condensation disappears.

• MrPurpleB, BADANT, NicholasP and 1 other like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#2 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 7 2021 - 11:09 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

NICE!

• ZTYguy likes this

#3 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted April 7 2021 - 2:15 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Wow those are big
  • ZTYguy likes this

#4 Offline MsTesaAnt - Posted April 8 2021 - 5:52 AM

MsTesaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice pictures!  Good luck with your colony.

• ZTYguy likes this

#5 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 8 2021 - 8:00 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Thanks!

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#6 Offline Canadant - Posted April 8 2021 - 8:47 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Such cool colours! Good luck.
  • ZTYguy likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#7 Offline BADANT - Posted April 8 2021 - 9:02 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

We caught some a little over a week ago in the local mountains, I see that yours have already laid eggs as well. I share your excitement, these have been our target for 3 years now. Best of luck to you and all 3 queens

• ZTYguy likes this

#8 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 8 2021 - 9:21 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

• Canadant likes this

Currently Keeping:

#9 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 9 2021 - 9:49 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

So sadly I checked today and the thinnest queen which is the closet one in the two photos passed. I’m still optimistic for the other two as they seem to be chugging along in the egg department.

edit: that is why when purchasing single queens I always purchase multiple just to give me a better chance.

Edited by ZTYguy, April 9 2021 - 9:50 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently Keeping:

#10 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 2 2021 - 4:20 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Acquired a new Ca02 colony with a footless queen and a new queen with about five cocoons. This is all thanks to cocdeshijie. Great vendor, go check him out if you are in SoCal or in California.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently Keeping:

#11 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 2 2021 - 4:21 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Photos

Attached Images

• image.jpg

• MrPurpleB and cocdeshijie like this

Currently Keeping:

#12 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted May 2 2021 - 5:21 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Acquired a new Ca02 colony with a footless queen and a new queen with about five cocoons. This is all thanks to cocdeshijie. Great vendor, go check him out if you are in SoCal or in California.

i love the footless queen :)

• ZTYguy likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#13 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 6 2021 - 3:09 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Brood boosted the OG queens, new queen is doing great and hoping for workers in about a week, and big colony has gotten to about 40-45 workers now. The big colony is growing at an alarming rate but i want to get the colony to producing elates to hopefully do a lab experiment so i've been pumping the food in heavy. I feed them about 2 meal worms or a big dubia nimph every other day, then a dish of sugar waterthat they love to bits. ZTY out

Currently Keeping:

#14 Offline JenC - Posted May 6 2021 - 5:52 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
If your colony somehow decides to make alates it won't be at least for a couple of more years most likely.

Edited by JenC, May 6 2021 - 5:54 PM.

• B_rad0806 and ZTYguy like this
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#15 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 6 2021 - 5:56 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

I figured. I’m just putting my goal out to let people know why I do certain things.

Currently Keeping:

#16 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 16 2021 - 1:28 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

One of the single queens got her first worker so I’m going to be putting them in a starter formicarium I made once the worker hardens and I’ll get pics once they are settled in.

• BADANT, Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

Currently Keeping:

#17 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 17 2021 - 7:05 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Here is the big colony eating a cricket. They have a bunch of eggs and a good amount of larvae and cocoons.

https://www.youtube....h?v=9jpbmQIsmFM

Edited by ZTYguy, May 17 2021 - 7:06 PM.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

Currently Keeping:

#18 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 19 2021 - 12:58 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

The large colony has gotten to 50 workers already and the small formicarium colony got another cocoon.

Attached Images

• 5D090E79-06AE-4C1F-A8FD-4FC971C01A07.jpeg
  • DCF9F6F9-D578-4AFD-A511-AF8236084A82.jpeg

Currently Keeping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users