• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions about hibernation in a fridge

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NPLT - Posted April 7 2021 - 9:46 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

Hi. As preparation for getting ants I've recently bought myself a mini fridge that could go from 15 Celcius to 8 Celcius in temperature, however, the fridge does not have the no-frost function, will that be a problem?

Also, I have a question, since in the summer ( when there's no pandemic ) I usually go on vacations for 2 weeks cycling with my father in another part of Poland, and I am searching for solutions for this, since asking a person to change ant's food for one week is a no-go, and I fear taking the ants with me would stress them out too much, I've heard hibernating the ants in a temperature of around 10 Celcius is the usual method, however, in summer the ambient temperature can get to 25 celcius, and I wanted to ask for ways to get the temperature to 20 Celcius so I can safely get the ants into the fridge.

• mantisgal likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 7 2021 - 9:49 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

you could make a liquid protein and sugar mix and put it in a large liquid feeder and that should hold them over for the week.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline NPLT - Posted April 7 2021 - 10:07 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

you could make a liquid protein and sugar mix and put it in a large liquid feeder and that should hold them over for the week.

I understand that, but what about two weeks? as I said, there is no way for me to ask someone to come and change their food, and I will be usually gone for 2 weeks a year in summer.

Also, is hibernating ants in a fridge with no no-frost fuctionality dangerous, and if it is, how can I counteract it?

Edited by NPLT, April 7 2021 - 10:11 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

#4 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted April 7 2021 - 10:30 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I think I heard somewhere before that mixing protein and sugar isn't good because then the ants can't regulate how much they take in of either source. In my opinion just take a lot of honey and put it on a dish or something, and before you go feed them a ton of insects over like a few days.

• MinigunL5 likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 7 2021 - 10:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What species of ants do you have? You should experiment with the fridge to see if you can moderate the temperatures and if it fluctuates a lot. Try to figure out what section of the fridge is warmest and farthest from any frost formation as well. I think a short diapause at safe temperatures would be the best option if you are gone more than a week.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline NPLT - Posted April 7 2021 - 10:49 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

What species of ants do you have? You should experiment with the fridge to see if you can moderate the temperatures and if it fluctuates a lot. Try to figure out what section of the fridge is warmest and farthest from any frost formation as well. I think a short diapause at safe temperatures would be the best option if you are gone more than a week.

I do not have any ants yet, but I plan on keeping Formica rufibarbis. The fridge can be set to have a temperature as high as 15 to as low as 6.5 Celcius ( I know in the original post I said 8 but I checked again and it was 6.5 Celcius ). I was thinking that a short diapause would be good too, but in summer ambient temperatures can reach about 25 Celcius, and I do not know how to bring those temperature to 20 Celcius in summer because I fear getting the ants from 25 Celcius to 15 Celcius by just placing them in a fridge would be too huge a leap.

I will experiment and try to determine spots farthest from any frost formations but does the lack of no-frost functionality, in any way, factor into the safety of the ants.

Edited by NPLT, April 7 2021 - 11:25 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

#7 Offline steelplant - Posted April 7 2021 - 11:04 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
My ants are currently experiencing temperatures that jump between 8 and 20+ Celsius every day and they're coping fine despite my worries. A couple weeks in the fridge for yours will be fine. Just fill them up with sugars before putting them in.
  • NPLT likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2021 - 2:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

My ants are currently experiencing temperatures that jump between 8 and 20+ Celsius every day and they're coping fine despite my worries. A couple weeks in the fridge for yours will be fine. Just fill them up with sugars before putting them in.

Exactly. They are exceedingly tough creatures.
  • NPLT likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline NPLT - Posted April 8 2021 - 4:03 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Exactly. They are exceedingly tough creatures.

Ok, so, last question, will the lack of no-frost functionality in the fridge, in any way, affect the ants.

Um, uh, Ants!

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2021 - 4:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Not if the temperatures in the part of the fridge you keep them are stable in a safe range. Test it out and test it again to make sure it is safe. Beware of flooding if the frost should melt due to a power outage. I would make sure the fridge is totally defrosted before you use it for your hibernation.

#11 Offline NPLT - Posted April 8 2021 - 4:46 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Not if the temperatures in the part of the fridge you keep them are stable in a safe range. Test it out and test it again to make sure it is safe. Beware of flooding if the frost should melt due to a power outage. I would make sure the fridge is totally defrosted before you use it for your hibernation.

Understood, I will be sure to do this.

Um, uh, Ants!

#12 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 14 2021 - 10:37 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario
If the fridge has a produce drawer that will protect it from frost and drying out too fast because it's designed for tender veggies. I would also wrap in dish towel, but I am a noob and only guessing. Can any more experienced heads confirm or deny this theory?

#13 Offline NPLT - Posted April 14 2021 - 11:28 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

If the fridge has a produce drawer that will protect it from frost and drying out too fast because it's designed for tender veggies. I would also wrap in dish towel, but I am a noob and only guessing. Can any more experienced heads confirm or deny this theory?

Checked the fridge, there is no veggie drawer, it is a really small mini fridge, but thanks for the dish towel idea, I'll try it. Also, turns out the inside of the fridge gets really humid, like 60% humidity at the highest temperature, should I be worried about that? 

• mantisgal likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 14 2021 - 11:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
No, that’s a good thing.
  • mantisgal likes this

#15 Offline NPLT - Posted April 14 2021 - 2:28 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

No, that’s a good thing.

Ah okay, thanks, *phew*, I was really worried for a second.

Um, uh, Ants!

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 14 2021 - 4:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You will definitely need to renew any fluon orvescape barriers after hibernating, though, due to the humidity.
  • mantisgal likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users