• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Art, Mine and Yours

art

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GhostMouse - Posted April 6 2021 - 5:20 AM

GhostMouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

POPULAR

I thought it would be nice to have an art thread! 

I got into ants almost by accident. I was a longtime AntsCanada fan and kept other inverts, but didn't really think about keeping ants myself. I stumbled on a queen ant, and on a whim, caught her. I thought I could find out what species she was. I hated to think I'd accidentally found some ant that was desirable and hard to find in my area or something and some ant fan who'd been looking for ages didn't have one. I figured I'd find out about her and then either pass her on, or put her back outside. But then she was fascinating and pretty and whoops. 

So I did what anyone would do and made a comic about it:

antastic.png

It would have been very special to have my very first queen's colony, but sadly, Leizu and her two babies died (thank you to the people here who helped me in my thread about that). I decided that I would have my first colony forever, and preserve them in a little momento mori piece. I used resin, some little dried flowers, and a tiny splash of glitter- it looks as though Leizu and her brood are falling through a shining cloud into the world beyond. Some wire and a small length of leather cord and now I have a lovely pendant.

Leizucrop.png

Share your ant art, I'd love to see it!

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Boog and 7 others like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 6 2021 - 5:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

This is morbidly fascinating! I love it!

How did you keep the queen from floating up in the resin? That happened to me one time I tried to to encase a Hercules beetle.

• TennesseeAnts and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline GhostMouse - Posted April 6 2021 - 6:14 AM

GhostMouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

This is morbidly fascinating! I love it!

How did you keep the queen from floating up in the resin? That happened to me one time I tried to to encase a Hercules beetle.

I definitely had to get creative. I wrapped the opening tightly in plastic wrap and kept flipping the piece upside down to be sure she was in a good position. Had to keep an eye and do it several times so she didn't just sink entirely to the bottom on her back, or immediately float back up to the top. I also used a toothpick to arrange things a bit and push some of the glitter down so it looked like they had fallen through. 

This isn't the first time I've put an invert into resin so I've learned a bit from trial and error! 

#4 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 6 2021 - 6:40 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I knew someone would make a thread for this sooner or later. I was going to but I didn't have any art and didn't have the energy to make some.

#5 Offline Chickalo - Posted April 6 2021 - 7:49 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Check out my DeviantArt, LarvitarAnimates, I got a Pheidole Pilifera queen up there, I also have a (bad) bee.  If there are any species requests I'll try to make it and I'll post it there

シグナチャーです。예.

#6 Offline GhostMouse - Posted April 6 2021 - 8:01 AM

GhostMouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Check out my DeviantArt, LarvitarAnimates, I got a Pheidole Pilifera queen up there, I also have a (bad) bee.  If there are any species requests I'll try to make it and I'll post it there

Ah cool, I'm SeventhBard on all my art sites (hence the sig on the comic), I'll add you on dA!

#7 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 15 2021 - 2:15 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

POPULAR

Due to personal home circumstances/family emergency I had to put my book publishing on temporary hold (yeah that's why I pretty much fell silent here on FC and discord and Facebook), but here's artwork from book 2 of the Bugs of Arcadia series:

Attached Images

• CampPeter 2.jpg

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, April 15 2021 - 2:17 PM.

• ANTdrew, Boog, OiledOlives and 7 others like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 15 2021 - 2:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I hope things are getting better for you.
  • OhNoNotAgain likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 15 2021 - 2:35 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I hope things are getting better for you.

I'm working on getting back into the groove of things gradually, though the circumstances are still ongoing. (For example I did manage to feed most of my ants recently.) Thanks ANTdrew!!!  :)

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#10 Offline GhostMouse - Posted May 3 2021 - 9:10 PM

GhostMouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Due to personal home circumstances/family emergency I had to put my book publishing on temporary hold (yeah that's why I pretty much fell silent here on FC and discord and Facebook), but here's artwork from book 2 of the Bugs of Arcadia series:

Oh wow! Wonderful work, oh I bet your book is just great! I'm working on one too, though not with art like this. <3 Got you in my rainbow thoughts, here's to a published book and better days.

Is this art digital or traditional? The ant looks so curious, and I love the little isopod- "no way Jose!" I have an embarassing number of isopods, they're so cute. 

• ZTYguy likes this

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 4 2021 - 4:09 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I used to do ant drawings all of the time before my computer decided to stop functioning. I'll link my ArtStation here so you all can check some of it out. It's mostly Strumigenys. It's not great, but it's all okay. Apparently my art is good enough for Doug Booher to have me do the illustrations for his key which will probably be published later this year. Here's just a few of my pieces if you don't feel like going to a separate website right now:

Strumigenys godmani
Strumigenys deltisquama
Strumigenys ornata
Strumigenys cordovensis

• Kaelwizard, Boog, OiledOlives and 5 others like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline GhostMouse - Posted May 4 2021 - 10:18 AM

GhostMouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I used to do ant drawings all of the time before my computer decided to stop functioning. I'll link my ArtStation here so you all can check some of it out. It's mostly Strumigenys. It's not great, but it's all okay. Apparently my art is good enough for Doug Booher to have me do the illustrations for his key which will probably be published later this year. 

Sounds like Doug Booher knows how to appreciate your art better than you do-- which makes you a true artist lol, we all have imposter syndrome. XD 

But seriously though the detail in these is wonderful. As you can tell from my little comic, I really only have much practice/skill at doing very cute, brightly colored, stylized and cartoony sorts of drawing. Doing any sort of accurately proportioned anatomical drawing impresses the heck out of me. That "looked more like this" image is maybe the most realistic ant I ever drew HA! I think these are great! 

• Ferox_Formicae and Antkeeper01 like this

#13 Offline JoeByron - Posted May 6 2021 - 10:15 AM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee
Entering the founding chamber

Attached Images

• 20210506_030337.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, Ferox_Formicae, Boog and 3 others like this

#14 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 6 2021 - 12:02 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Haha it’s a demon.
  • JoeByron and DaAnt like this

#15 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 7 2021 - 3:58 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
A couple of my drawings. They don't look all that good and most of the parts in the thorax and head are probably wrong but I tried!87183d194ef9b7613e300dd321d8519e.jpg5fb2bcf284bc070d3489f78ac6435622.jpg8f31be2b8cd26d948cf9d56ce349cd50.jpg740966e6cecf45807ce2487f5e9211ad.jpg

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Ferox_Formicae, Kaelwizard, Boog and 6 others like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#16 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 7 2021 - 4:15 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Do you create shapes first?  I know it sounds really stupid, but most people skip over this step, and it really helps.  Also using guidelines to figure out the proportions and how surfaces bend makes it much easier.   (Btw, they look fine to me!  Great job)

Edited by Chickalo, May 7 2021 - 4:16 AM.

• Ferox_Formicae, Antkeeper01 and DaAnt like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#17 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted May 7 2021 - 4:20 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Do you create shapes first? I know it sounds really stupid, but most people skip over this step, and it really helps. Also using guidelines to figure out the proportions and how surfaces bend makes it much easier. (Btw, they look fine to me! Great job)

Oh I don't actually. I just draw the basic parts of an ant and then slowly modify. And thanks!

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#18 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 27 2021 - 11:53 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I MADE DIGITAL ART! made a little gif on a polyergus queen pixel art thingy i drew. Edit: here's a weaver ant too!
giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Edited by ANTS_KL, July 28 2021 - 12:57 AM.

• Kaelwizard, Boog, Antkeeper01 and 5 others like this

#19 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 28 2021 - 2:16 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I MADE DIGITAL ART! made a little gif on a polyergus queen pixel art thingy i drew. Edit: here's a weaver ant too!
giphy.gifgiphy.gif

:0

I couldn't even draw 3d ants :(

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#20 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 28 2021 - 3:29 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

:0

I couldn't even draw 3d ants :(

hehe if ur amazed with this wait till i'm done with my protanilla lini gif

• Boog, Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users