• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus pennsylvanicus in Mini Hearth?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline to_be_announced - Posted April 5 2021 - 2:01 PM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSouth East Minnesota

I have a small colony of Camponotus pennsylvanicus currently in a test tube setup.  Queen with 9 workers.  I have an empty mini hearth currently.  Wondering if it's worth it to move them into there or if it holds such a small number of such a large species that it would be better to hold off and then go from tube to something bigger?  How many of this species do you think a mini hearth could hold?

Currently keeping Tetramorium Immigrans and Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in THA mini hearths.  I also have a couple Prenolepis Imparus queens in test tubes.

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 5 2021 - 2:05 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

You could put them in there if you want. A mini hearth can hold more than you think.

• to_be_announced and Chickalo like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 5 2021 - 3:20 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A mini-hearth would be ideal for them. Tape the test tube to the mini-hearth or stick it on with mounting putty. Use bright sunlight to move them onto the nest and detach the tube as soon as they vacate.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline gs5248 - Posted April 5 2021 - 3:24 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I agree. And anyways, if you need an expansion, you could always just get another mini hearth and connect it up to the original one, since they are modular.

#5 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted April 6 2021 - 3:33 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA
Honestly a Mini Hearth would be a bit too big for them in my opinion. I would keep them in a test tubes until they get a few more workers.
  • Canadant and to_be_announced like this

#6 Offline to_be_announced - Posted April 6 2021 - 6:24 AM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I've decided I'm going to go ahead and put them in there.  I know MinigunL5 said he/she thought it was too big, but there are about 5 more workers about to eclose, so I'll be up to 14-15 workers soon.  It'll just be so much easier feeding in the mini hearth.

• MinigunL5 and Chickalo like this

Currently keeping Tetramorium Immigrans and Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in THA mini hearths.  I also have a couple Prenolepis Imparus queens in test tubes.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 6 2021 - 3:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s a perfect size colony for a mini-hearth.
  • to_be_announced likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 6 2021 - 4:37 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

How many C.pennsylvanicus workers could a mini-hearth hold? Hopefully I will have a mini and an xl mini soon and I got a decent number of workers in my one colony.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 6 2021 - 4:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Maybe 50 or more. They can just hang on the ceiling.

#10 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 6 2021 - 8:21 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I've decided I'm going to go ahead and put them in there.  I know MinigunL5 said he/she thought it was too big, but there are about 5 more workers about to eclose, so I'll be up to 14-15 workers soon.  It'll just be so much easier feeding in the mini hearth.

I know some people said bright sunlight. But I wouldn't use sunlight at all if you don't want to hurt them. Any light would do. I would do one that doesnt get too hot as to not hurt any of the delicate larva or eggs you might have. the greenhouse affect is super easy to create inside a test tube thanks to the curved class. BE CAREFUL!

#11 Offline to_be_announced - Posted April 7 2021 - 8:00 AM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Thanks JoeByron.  I've got their test tube hooked up to the mini hearth as of this morning.  No light on them now as I had to head to work and didn't want that on them without me being there in case of too much heat or something.  I put some sunburst nectar in the mini hearth outworld and hoping they just find that and realize on their way that the nest is much better than their tube.  Also, their tube is pretty much out of water, so once the cotton dries up, hopefully that helps too, though it's my understanding that Camponotus pennsylvanicus's aren't a species that requires it to be too moist.

#12 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted April 7 2021 - 8:13 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Thanks JoeByron.  I've got their test tube hooked up to the mini hearth as of this morning.  No light on them now as I had to head to work and didn't want that on them without me being there in case of too much heat or something.  I put some sunburst nectar in the mini hearth outworld and hoping they just find that and realize on their way that the nest is much better than their tube.  Also, their tube is pretty much out of water, so once the cotton dries up, hopefully that helps too, though it's my understanding that Camponotus pennsylvanicus's aren't a species that requires it to be too moist.

If they don't move in quickly I suggest that you just dump them in. It's the quickest to move ants and works well.

#13 Offline to_be_announced - Posted April 8 2021 - 6:19 AM

to_be_announced

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

If they don't move in quickly I suggest that you just dump them in. It's the quickest to move ants and works well.

I'm certainly considering that option, though I'd like to let them move on their own if possible.  I have the test tube connected directly to the mini hearth through a short piece of tubing.  So if they want some food or sugar, they'll have to go through the hearth to the outworld.  Hopefully that does the trick.  May be a bit until they get hungry though as they had a cricket the day before I hooked them up to the mini hearth.

#14 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 9 2021 - 10:14 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've decided I'm going to go ahead and put them in there. I know MinigunL5 said he/she thought it was too big, but there are about 5 more workers about to eclose, so I'll be up to 14-15 workers soon. It'll just be so much easier feeding in the mini hearth.

I know some people said bright sunlight. But I wouldn't use sunlight at all if you don't want to hurt them. Any light would do. I would do one that doesnt get too hot as to not hurt any of the delicate larva or eggs you might have. the greenhouse affect is super easy to create inside a test tube thanks to the curved class. BE CAREFUL!
Sunlight was suggested because it creates conditions that are intolerable for the ants, which prompts them to move. People started using it instead of other light because in captivity ants can get used to light being shined on them. In my own experience, normal light doesn’t seem to bother any of the species I have tried to move.

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 9 2021 - 10:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve used sunlight many times to move colonies. It’s the only thing that will get some of them going. Just do it on a cooler morning and be there to supervise to make sure nothing goes wrong. Hook the nest you want to move them into up a few days beforehand, so the ants have an idea of where to go.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 9 2021 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users