• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feeding milk to ants

food milk lactose

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline skocko76 - Posted April 1 2021 - 6:52 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I noticed a lot of Spanish and French ant keepers recommend feeding milk to ants. 

I tried that briefly in the past, and it didn't work. 

Being in the Mediterranean, I should have pretty similar species locally, so milk should have worked.

Also, I read a paper somewhere stating that ant digestive system is unable to process lactose... so that would work to corroborate my experience.

What's your experience with feeding milk to ants?

#2 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 1 2021 - 6:54 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I've never even known that was a thing.

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 1 2021 - 7:01 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I noticed a lot of Spanish and French ant keepers recommend feeding milk to ants. 

I tried that briefly in the past, and it didn't work. 

Being in the Mediterranean, I should have pretty similar species locally, so milk should have worked.

Also, I read a paper somewhere stating that ant digestive system is unable to process lactose... so that would work to corroborate my experience.

What's your experience with feeding milk to ants?

I don't think anyone on the forum feeds their ants milk, and if someone does, I don't know of them.

Edited by Kaelwizard, April 1 2021 - 7:02 AM.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 1 2021 - 7:05 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I had know idea, i mean i feed my ants a sugar mix which sometimes smelles like milk if left out but not really something i'd think of doing.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2021 - 7:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m kind of doubtful they could digest the lactose.
  • skocko76, Manitobant, MinigunL5 and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted April 1 2021 - 8:08 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I hardly trust the honey from the grocery store (depending on the brand, quality, organic or not, etc)... I don't think I'll ever feed milk to my colonies. 

Edited by AntsMaryland, April 1 2021 - 8:09 AM.

• skocko76 likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#7 Offline skocko76 - Posted April 1 2021 - 10:10 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I hardly trust the honey from the grocery store (depending on the brand, quality, organic or not, etc)... I don't think I'll ever feed milk to my colonies. 

Good point!

But...

This may be naiive of me, but what are we wary of in industrial products? Antibiotics? Could they harm our ants?
Also, does non-organic honey contain pesticides? Wouldn't that harm the bees that produced it?

And "fake" honey is mostly corn or rice syrup ...which is not harmful to ants in itself...except IT could contain a lot of pesticides.

Personally, I don't grow feeder insects. I wack any fly that gets into my living space and feed it to the ants. I don't freeze nor boil the insects. Haven't had any ants die due to that, not ever had mites.

Was I just stupidly lucky thus far? Have you had antpocalypses due to unverified sources of feed?

Edited by skocko76, April 1 2021 - 10:15 AM.

#8 Offline skocko76 - Posted April 1 2021 - 10:14 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I've never even known that was a thing.

Yeah, although they don't use it plain. They add different sugars and protein powder to the mix.

Also, their protein jellies are based on fermented milk.

I personally attested that plain milk is not appetizing to ants...at least to species I have.

#9 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted April 1 2021 - 10:20 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Good point!

But...

This may be naiive of me, but what are we wary of in industrial products? Antibiotics? Could they harm our ants?
Also, does non-organic honey contain pesticides? Wouldn't that harm the bees that produced it?

And "fake" honey is mostly corn or rice syrup ...which is not harmful to ants in itself...except IT could contain a lot of pesticides.

Personally, I don't grow feeder insects. I wack any fly that gets into my living space and feed it to the ants. I don't freeze nor boil the insects. Haven't had any ants die due to that, not ever had mites.

Was I just stupidly lucky thus far? Have you had antpocalypses due to unverified sources of feed?

Ah yeah. In the United States when they say "organic" they don't mean pesticide or insecticide free. Instead, the pesticides, etc have to be organic and not synthetic... I'm also not quite sure if the pesticides and other potentially harmful material that can be found in honey is from the area where the bees got their nectar OR if the preservatives are added and those can be harmful (yes, I know pesticides and preservatives are two different things – I'm just being general).

As far as milk, I am in no way well researched in how milk production works and what "organic" milk actually means in the United States. Personally, I like to learn from other people's mistakes and prefer not to make them myself. If people start using milk and it doesn't kill their colonies – I might try. I just wouldn't want to be one of the people trying it out around here. :D

• skocko76 likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 1 2021 - 10:22 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I haven't seen any research to suggest an ant species that is receptive to lactose, but there are plenty of studies and my own observation shows that ants are NOT attracted to lactose.

Some people suggest that whey and casein in milk are a good source of protein for ants.  But I have been unable to replicate the results of any experiments that feed these diets to ants.  Brood development stalls and the ants generally fail to thrive when fed diets containing the milk proteins whey and casein.

For these reasons, I do not recommend feeding ants milk or any type of milk product.

• AntsMaryland, skocko76, TennesseeAnts and 5 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline skocko76 - Posted April 1 2021 - 1:13 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Thanks for sharing your experience.
It coincides with my observation, though I haven't made empiric tests.

#12 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 1 2021 - 1:51 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Good point!

But...

Pesticides would be added after it is taken from the bees. There was recently a thread about how people's colonies have died after consuming honey.

#13 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 1 2021 - 2:42 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Uhh, no. Honey is naturally antibacterial, and on its own, as long as it is not diluted, can last, in theory, hundreds of years. The only way the pesticides would come i would be through the bees making it themselves. I personally am of the opinion that it could be the plastic containers the honey is in, not necessarily the honey itself.

Pesticides would be added after it is taken from the bees. There was recently a thread about how people's colonies have died after consuming honey.

civilizations.

Good point!

But...

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#14 Offline steelplant - Posted April 6 2021 - 3:27 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I fed my ants liver pate (liver blended with cream) a few weeks ago and they seemed to love it. Fed them it again yesterday and zero interest. So maybe they had trouble digesting it. Fermented dairy might be different as they might be supplementing gut microbiome. And the lactose would have been broken down by the flora/fauna.

Pesticides in honey come mostly from the environment the bees are foraging in. Whatever they've replaced neonicotinoids with here is better for birds and animals but even worse for insects. Crazy how we poison our world.

#15 Offline SpaceX1193 - Posted April 8 2021 - 8:24 PM

SpaceX1193

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Good point!
But...

Some beekeepers actually use ant Deterrent in their beehives so it’s possible but really my ants have been fine with store bought honey.

#16 Offline gs5248 - Posted April 18 2021 - 10:45 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Well, although ants won't really drink milk, they do seem to accept cheese in my experience. Probably because the lactose content in cheese in very low.

#17 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 18 2021 - 1:15 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

I mean, I did find this 

So I guess they do drink it. However ants are clumsy and even in this video you can see some workers fall into the milk and drown. Not to mention all of the bacterial issues that come with milk, I would avoid it just for sanitation issues.

My understanding of milk in all creatures is that it has taken many years for our stomachs to get use to consuming it. But ants have also been around? Interesting question. Might be fun to do some studies on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, milk, lactose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users