• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What species of solenopsis

http://imgur.com/a/jmpmn0g

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antmanboy - Posted March 24 2021 - 2:59 PM

Antmanboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello I caught a fire ant queen 1 week ago and I'm trying to identify what species she is. I've cut down my choices to Solenopsis Geminata,Solenopsis Invicta or Solenopsis Xyloni she is about 8mm long and I found her in Converse,TX
Whoops it didn't show the image:http://imgur.com/a/JMPMN0g

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 24 2021 - 3:10 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

That looks like a Camponotus queen, but I can't really tell with that video. Try to get a close up still-shot.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, March 24 2021 - 3:11 PM.

• AleeGuy likes this

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 24 2021 - 3:24 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Lmao that's camponotus. Not even closely related to solenopsis.

#4 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted March 24 2021 - 3:25 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

yeah that looks like a Camponotus decipiens queen to me

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 24 2021 - 3:27 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

yeah that looks like a Camponotus decipiens queen to me

That's what I was going to suggest, but there are a few different Texan Camponotus (Myrmentoma) that look similar and I'm not familiar with, so I just left it at genus.

#6 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 24 2021 - 3:31 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

That's Camponotus, not Solenopsis.

Camponotus is in the subfamily Formicinae, and Solenopsis is in Myrmicinae.  I'm pretty sure all Formicidae has one segment between the gaster and thorax whilst Myrmicinae has two.

Edited by Chickalo, March 24 2021 - 3:32 PM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 24 2021 - 3:36 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Camponotus is in the subfamily Formicinae, and Solenopsis is in Myrmicinae.  I'm pretty sure all Formicidae has one segment between the gaster and thorax whilst Myrmicinae has two.

Formicidae is the whole Family: All Ants

Formicinae is Formicine ants, and all of them do only have one petiole.

Edited by NickAnter, March 25 2021 - 6:42 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 24 2021 - 7:31 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

This seems like Camponotus.  Getting an ID is easier when you follow proper ID Request formatting that is easily seen at the top of the Ant ID Request page.  Still images are also better than a video.  If you are using a phone, hold it 3-4 inches away from the subject and do not zoom too much since it will get grainy.

Also, you don't need to spam click the post button.  It will load the first time you click.

• TennesseeAnts and Chickalo like this

#9 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 25 2021 - 4:16 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

:facepalm:

it's autocorrect I swear, I know because I didn't know how to spell it so I literally searched up Camponotus sub family and copied and pasted lol

Edited by Chickalo, March 25 2021 - 4:16 AM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 25 2021 - 6:26 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Seeing as he used the right word before (and he said it was autocorrect above), he clearly meant Formicinae the second time.

PS: The face palm emoji comes off as really rude.

Edited by Kaelwizard, March 25 2021 - 6:33 AM.

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 25 2021 - 6:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Seeing as he used the right word before (and he said it was autocorrect above), he clearly meant Formicinae the second time.

PS: The face palm emoji comes off as really rude.

Fixed. :)

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#12 Offline Antmanboy - Posted March 31 2021 - 3:46 PM

Antmanboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you I recently realized it was Camponotous and I forgot about this post. Thank you for all your help! Have a good day!
  • TennesseeAnts, Antcatcherpro3 and JoeByron like this

#13 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 6 2021 - 11:37 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

Thank you I recently realized it was Camponotous and I forgot about this post. Thank you for all your help! Have a good day!

Doesnt matter that much about what specific species it is, YOU HAVE A QUEEN! and that exciting no matter what. 

#14 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 7 2021 - 3:13 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

It does kind of matter what species because some species have special needs like foods or other things, so I would ID any queen you find.

• Kaelwizard likes this

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 7 2021 - 6:55 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

It does kind of matter what species because some species have special needs like foods or other things, so I would ID any queen you find.

Exactly. You wouldn't want to take care of an Atta queen like how you would take care of a Lasius queen or something. (I know that they are both pretty recognizable, just an example).

• Antcatcherpro3 likes this

#16 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 7 2021 - 7:28 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Yep, this queen was ID'd though, so that's good. 

#17 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 7 2021 - 7:30 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Even if you can't get an exact species, it's atleast good to get the Genus of it, which we already did.

#18 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 7 2021 - 7:39 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I apologize for some of the dismissive and rather aggressive responses you got.  It is unfortunate some of the more advanced though not necessarily mature members of this forum could learn to guide and teach with greater sensitivity.

• gcsnelling, TennesseeAnts, Devi and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users