• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Freeze dried mealworms?

nutrition diet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lost_Soldier - Posted March 10 2021 - 5:52 PM

Lost_Soldier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if I freeze dry my mealworms would they still have the nutrients and proteins required for my larvae?

I just don't want to have any of the meal worms become adults as I have no where to keep them and I also think live food is better than frozen food.

#2 Offline Roy3 - Posted March 10 2021 - 6:03 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Do you have something to freeze dry them? Well if you do, then I think its fine. After all, freeze dried human food is still fully nutritious for humans. But if you just place your meal worms in the refrigerator while still in their container, they will last longer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  • BugFinder likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 10 2021 - 6:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You can keep them dormant for a very long time in the fridge. It is also fine to freeze them and thaw later. Do not freeze dry them, though. Ants will not eat dried foods, in general.
  • BugFinder likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Lost_Soldier - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:57 AM

Lost_Soldier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the Responses you two, I have them in my fridge one of my buddies has something he uses to freeze dry food for when he goes hiking. I will just refrigerate them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nutrition, diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users