• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The AntsCanada Blog 2015: Videos/Ant Keeping Gear/GAN Project/News

antscanada formicarium ants antfarm ant habitat ant colony queen ant omni nest hybrid nest myrmecologist outworld products ant wild ants journal biology research museum

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsCanada - Posted May 31 2015 - 3:39 AM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Hello Formiculture Members and ant lovers!

Mikey here, an avid ant keeper/lover, vlogger at the AntsCanada Youtube Channel, and owner/founder of the AntsCanada Ants Store. I have always been a fan of this Formiculture forum since its beginnings and have watched it grow over time. I am good friends with Drew, the mastermind behind Formiculture, and have many friends on this site, and I see that it has done great things at growing ant keeping knowledge and the global online ant community.

I felt it would be a great idea to get connected and contribute to these boards more, and make more ant friends on here. Drew has been kind enough to start this section for AntsCanada for us to participate and engage in. Thank you, Drew!

There are a few things I would like to say as my first post in this Formiculture subforum.

About The AntsCanada Ants Store

A little about AntsCanada: we promote the ant keeping hobby, myrmecology, ecology, and habitat conservation. Our aim is to make pet ant keeping simple and enjoyable and thereby promote ant awareness and inspire conservation. I founded the AntsCanada Ants Store in 2009 after launching the AntsCanada Youtube channel, and we have since shipped formicariums and ant keeping gear worldwide to 35 countries (as of May 31st, 2015). We also run the GAN Project which is a worldwide initiative to help ant keepers sell locally raised ants to local ant keepers looking for ant colonies to stock their formicariums, in hopes to foster local ant communities and also eliminate the irresponsible and dangerous practice of importing ant fauna to foreign territory. AntsCanada today is also involved with scientific research and builds ant exhibits for museums around the world. We have been featured on the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet, and also do presentations in school settings and pet expos. We host the AntsCanada Youtube Channel and the AntsCanada Facebook PageThe Ultimate Ants & Myrmecology Facebook Group, the AntsCanada Twitter Page, and AntsCanada Instagram. We manufacture all of our products in China and USA. The AntsCanada team consists of 3 ant lovers and a wonderful and enthusiastic family of GAN Farmers from around the world.

Formiculture is the bomb, so I promise to start posting more here.

I would like to start by saying, that I haven't been able to participate in online forums as much as I used to year ago, or as much as I'd like to, because I have been busy with AntsCanada operations. I will try my best to post frequently on here but for those who would like to get in direct touch with me, the best way to get a hold of me is to email me directly at mikeyjbustos@gmail.com or contact us through our contact page. I may not be able to get back to everyone who posts in this forum, so contacting me through either of those methods is the best way. Please allow a maximum of 2 days for me to respond as it takes me awhile soetimes to get through all of the messages at times. I usually get back to you within 24 hours.

Disclaimer: If you're mean, I will ignore you. :D 

Second, as a disclaimer: I have had a few very negative experiences in the past with individuals flaming me and AntsCanada in the forums and so let me also state that I would like this thread to be a place for positiveness and learning. I am completely open to criticism, negative and positive, and actually require those who purchase and support our products to give feedback so we can more efficiently create better products, but I will not answer or address any rude, tactless, or otherwise bashing-type comments. I will simply ignore them. If you  would like to share these rude sentiments, please send them to me directly through my email above or post in another thread. I do my best to stay out of drama and focus on helping ant keepers improve their ant keeping experiences, and hate the forum "eye sore" of fighting or rude people. If I had more personal time, I would spend it defending and trying to iron out my relationships with anyone who might have a chip on their shoulder with AntsCanada or myself, but if you know me personally, I am quite friendly, diplomatic, will go out of my way to make amends, and don't do well with drama or hate. Ant keeping should be a fun activity that cultures learning and discovery, not one that cultures drama, hate, or immaturity. Our tag line is "Ant love forever" and for my team and I, that also applies to people towards other people.

Please do post here! I want to get to know you and hear out your ideas and stories.

Third, I encourage all of you who may have dealt with us in any way to post about your experience with our formicariums or GAN Project, or things you may have liked/disliked about our videos so we can continue to improve our operations and various initiatives. Please keep it clean, keep it objective, and if it makes me feel uncomfortable I will ask you to take it privately through email. Please introduce yourselves. I would love to get to know you guys and learn about your ants, and your ideas.

Ant Keepers' Valid Role in Science

Fourth, we ant keepers are the new breed of myrmecologists and we should really focus on this. When I first started ant keeping I knew we ant keepers, though amateur and academically unqualified, have a very important role in the contribution to the world of entomology. Some of the stuff I've been able to observe and film for instance just on my end has been pretty amazing: e.g. the inside activities of a weaver ant nest, the pupating of an endoparasitic fly, and the process of food consumption in ants. I am sure many here have been able to observe and document lots of equally interesting things that might not be readily observable in the field or in a laboratory. We are important to research and it is another reason why I feel participating in these boards (in the right manner) is so essential. I do hope the ant community continues to grow as much as it has over the past few years, and hope we can do this in a manner that is mature and conducive to learning. This is just a reiteration of why I take ant keeping so seriously and also why I will not engage in anything dramatic or confrontational or any personal attack, but will welcome criticisms or helpful suggestions.

Anyway, on to today's contribution: here is our latest video on our new line of genus- tailored formicariums - The Hybrid Nest. Hope you guys can check it out at our store. Please feel free to share videos or photos of your ants in Hybrid Nests (or other AntsCanada products or your ants purchased through our GAN Project):

Ant love forever.

Mikey

Edited by AntsCanada, May 31 2015 - 4:16 AM.

• OiledOlives likes this
Ant love forever!
http://antscanada.com

#2 Offline Wamdar - Posted May 31 2015 - 4:42 AM

Wamdar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hi Mikey! Welcome to the forum!

• AntsCanada likes this

#3 Offline AntsCanada - Posted May 31 2015 - 4:57 AM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Hi Mikey! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you, Wamdar!

Ant love forever!

#4 Offline dean_k - Posted May 31 2015 - 7:06 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Do you have any plans to introduce fitting outworld for Hybrid nests? Because I personally favor outworld and the nest to be connected mechanically and act as a whole piece.

P.S. I ordered a small Hybrid Formica from you few days ago.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#5 Offline Alza - Posted May 31 2015 - 8:18 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

The hybrids are on point, I have no complaints. 

• Ants4fun likes this

#6 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 31 2015 - 8:27 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Like the genus specific nests, no other formicarium has that...

#7 Offline AntsTexas - Posted May 31 2015 - 11:09 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

greetings from west texas....  awesome videos!!!

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 31 2015 - 11:56 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Because I personally favor outworld and the nest to be connected mechanically and act as a whole piece.

Same here.

#9 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted May 31 2015 - 12:59 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome Mikey! :)

#10 Offline AntsCanada - Posted May 31 2015 - 7:03 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Do you have any plans to introduce fitting outworld for Hybrid nests? Because I personally favor outworld and the nest to be connected mechanically and act as a whole piece.

Thank you for the support, Dean. We have found it impractical at this point to ship outworlds (we used to) because they cost a lot to ship in a manner that minimizes damage. Plus, we have found that a mature colony needs a lot of outworld space, otherwise a colony will move into the outworld. This is a problem that anyone who has had their ant colony reach maturity experiences. Mature colonies need a surprising amount of outworld space. This is why we encourage all of our customers to simply make their own outworld (even if they have an all in one setup like the Omni Nest) as it is easier, cheaper, offers enough space that the ants don't decide to treat the outworld as a giant room, and all around more practical. We may in the future find a way around the outworld challenge and create a big outworld that ships without damage and doesn't cost a fortune, but until then we created this video so people could make their own outworlds:

Thank you!

Thank you. For the longest time I was trying to figure out why some ant colonies do poorly in an otherwise good formicarium. The problem was the design. Chamber and tunnel size/shape/orientation have hydration and temperature implications and that's why ants of different types create different types of nests. A lot of research went into the Hybird Nest series, and we are very pleased with the product. We are glad everyone else is, too.

Hello! Thank you! :) Look out for Atta texana dealates, my friend!

Welcome Mikey! :)

Thank you, Jonathan!

Edited by AntsCanada, May 31 2015 - 7:09 PM.

• Jonathan21700, AntsTexas and OiledOlives like this
Ant love forever!

#11 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 1 2015 - 6:10 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

Thank you for the support, Dean. We have found it impractical at this point to ship outworlds (we used to) because they cost a lot to ship in a manner that minimizes damage. Plus, we have found that a mature colony needs a lot of outworld space, otherwise a colony will move into the outworld. This is a problem that anyone who has had their ant colony reach maturity experiences. Mature colonies need a surprising amount of outworld space. This is why we encourage all of our customers to simply make their own outworld (even if they have an all in one setup like the Omni Nest) as it is easier, cheaper, offers enough space that the ants don't decide to treat the outworld as a giant room, and all around more practical. We may in the future find a way around the outworld challenge and create a big outworld that ships without damage and doesn't cost a fortune, but until then we created this video so people could make their own outworlds:

Thank you!

Thank you. For the longest time I was trying to figure out why some ant colonies do poorly in an otherwise good formicarium. The problem was the design. Chamber and tunnel size/shape/orientation have hydration and temperature implications and that's why ants of different types create different types of nests. A lot of research went into the Hybird Nest series, and we are very pleased with the product. We are glad everyone else is, too.

Hello! Thank you! :) Look out for Atta texana dealates, my friend!

cool ty

S. invicta had a huge nuptial flight day last friday every ant colony flew, i got 9 queens just in my driveway.... :)

Edited by dspdrew, June 1 2015 - 6:24 AM.
Fixed quote formatting

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#12 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 1 2015 - 11:35 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

How long do you expect Hybrid nests to ship after they are ordered?

Thanks.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#13 Offline dean_k - Posted June 1 2015 - 12:52 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Thanks.

I believe my order, placed on May 29, was shipped a day later. But despite of being labelled as "express", I don't think it's express in my own experience since it took 2 ~ 3 weeks to arrive.

USPS express takes maximum 6 business days to reach my home from anywhere in US.

Edited by dean_k, June 1 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#14 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 1 2015 - 1:38 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
They are not nesseserily uses express. They could be express in the fact that it didn't take 1 or 2 months to ship.

#15 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 1 2015 - 2:03 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Haven't you come a long way!

These may very well be the best bang-for-your-buck nests out there in our market for large/mature colonies.

What are the dimensions of both the small/large nests?

#16 Offline AntsCanada - Posted June 2 2015 - 6:41 AM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

New video for this week! We're going back to basics with this one: a full tutorial on how to make a test tube setup for newly caught queen ants.

And to address some of the comments here:

Thanks.

We are experiencing high volume of orders since May so it does take us 1-2 days to send the Hybrid Nest out after it is ordered. Usually, it is shipped out that day or the next depending on what time you place the order. You receive a tracking number the day your order is shipped out. If you're in Canada/US it is shipped from our Utah location which means it gets to you within 2 business days via USPS, and if outside North America. If you are outside of North America, the package may be stopped and investigated by the country's customs which can delay the arrival of the package. 

Haven't you come a long way!

These may very well be the best bang-for-your-buck nests out there in our market for large/mature colonies.

What are the dimensions of both the small/large nests?

Hi Lord, wow throwback to the pioneer days! I don't see too many people around from our time as much. Great to see you and yes it has been a long, long journey from those SONY Cybershot videos filmed from my room in Canada. Haha! Great to see you around still.

The Hybrid Nest Small living area is 4X4" and the size Large is 6X6". Both hold many, many ants!

Edited by AntsCanada, June 2 2015 - 6:42 AM.

• AntsTexas likes this
Ant love forever!

#17 Offline Bardusquus - Posted June 4 2015 - 12:28 PM

Bardusquus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

So which is better for S.invicta? Omni nest, GlassBox or again another product of AntsCanada, Hybrid nest.

#18 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 4 2015 - 12:31 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
What is a glassbox?

#19 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 4 2015 - 2:18 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

GlassBox is a family of modular and expandable formicaries and arenas.  To date, no GlassBox-compatible product has been released.

A GlassBox-style arena was recently adapted for use with the GroTube XL.  I think that's where the confusion came from.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#20 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 4 2015 - 3:36 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Oh, so he was talking about the grotube with the glassbox arena.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antscanada, formicarium, ants, antfarm, ant habitat, ant colony, queen ant, omni nest, hybrid nest, myrmecologist, outworld, products, ant, wild ants, journal, biology, research, museum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users