• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mantid Identification

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 9 2021 - 2:29 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Los Angeles, CA

Collected 3/8/21

Found in a backyard garden. There are a couple of mantid nymphs outside, I caught a few. I hope this image helps.

Attached Images

• WIN_20210301_14_19_47_Pro.jpg

Edited by MrPurpleB, March 9 2021 - 2:29 AM.

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 9 2021 - 3:21 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Can you get me a clear picture of the face?  I would like to see the outlines of the different exoskeleton sections on it.  I'm fairly certain this is Stagmomantis, but not exactly sure past the genus.  Most likely it is S. limbata, since that is one of the most common species we have in southern California.

• MrPurpleB likes this

#3 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 9 2021 - 8:30 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Can you get me a clear picture of the face?  I would like to see the outlines of the different exoskeleton sections on it.  I'm fairly certain this is Stagmomantis, but not exactly sure past the genus.  Most likely it is S. limbata, since that is one of the most common species we have in southern California.

I'm not so sure. I don't think Stagmomantis limbata nymphs look like this, although I am not completely sure. I have seen a nymph of the same kind in the picture, but I can't remember what it was.

• MrPurpleB likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 9 2021 - 4:42 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I'm not so sure. I don't think Stagmomantis limbata nymphs look like this, although I am not completely sure. I have seen a nymph of the same kind in the picture, but I can't remember what it was.

I'm pretty sure this is Stagmomantis, saying S. limbata is based on it being the most common species you will come across in southern California.  Colors on Stagmomantis vary a lot if you're basing it off of that.

• MrPurpleB and antsandmore like this

#5 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted March 9 2021 - 7:54 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I agree with Stagmomantis. However, I’m not sure what the actual species is. 

• MrPurpleB likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#6 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 10 2021 - 1:12 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I tried taking some phots of the mantid. This is the same mantid as the one in the video, it died not too long ago. I decided to freeze it. I apologize for the unclear images, the microscope I have is a borrowed microscope and it is not that strong. 

Additionally, the last photo is of a mantid I found this past December. It was found in near the same spot as the nymphs. It was a female adult praying mantid. I never was able to get that one identified. I am sharing that picture as well, since its possibly the same species of the nymphs I caught. Hope this helps!

Attached Images

• Screenshot (238).png
  • Screenshot (239).png
  • Screenshot (240).png
  • Screenshot (242).png
  • Screenshot (243).png
  • 20201129_154009.jpg

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 10 2021 - 5:29 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

May I ask why you decided to kill it? 

#8 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 10 2021 - 10:40 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I did not kill it. I found it dead in the enclosure I had it in.

Edited by MrPurpleB, March 10 2021 - 2:43 PM.

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:09 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

" I decided to freeze it." Then what did you mean by that? Sorry I'm just confused.

#10 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 10 2021 - 4:04 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

" I decided to freeze it." Then what did you mean by that? Sorry I'm just confused.

"it died not too long ago. I decided to freeze it." After I found it dead, I placed the mantis in a freezer. I do this in order to preserve and later pin insects.

I see where the confusion may have come from. I hope that clears up the confusion.

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 10 2021 - 4:05 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

"it died not too long ago. I decided to freeze it." After I found it dead, I placed the mantis in a freezer. I do this in order to preserve and later pin insects.

I see where the confusion may have come from. I hope that clears up the confusion.

I see, thanks. Well that's cool that you are pinning it.

• MrPurpleB likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users