• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best Formicarium Material for Crematogaster

crematogaster nests materials formicariums

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline UtahAnts - Posted February 15 2021 - 4:10 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Hi everyone, 

There has been a lot of journals and discussions on the keeping of Crematogaster. I personally have two colonies, unidentified but probably cerasi. One of them is situated in a test tube and the other in a plaster formicarium. The colony in the plaster formicarium is up to 4 workers with more coming, and I have started heating and feeding them. The formicarium however is degrading from water damage. I'm about to move them but I want to get a good insight on what type of material is best for these guys. I have 4 types of formicarium's that are ready to go, all checked for small entrances:

• Plaster nest: similar to the one they are in, this will be more reinforced against water
  • Perfect cast nests: these are very tight and escape proof
  • THA mini hearth: the only fear I have of using this is of permanent damage to the material, as I have heard of some species tunneling through
  • Wooden nests: These would be interesting because I have only seen a few colonies in this material

Personally I'm leaning towards the wooden nest or the PerfectCast nests, but if the Mini Hearth will not be damaged I will probably just use that. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated

-thanks

Edited by AntsUtah, February 15 2021 - 4:12 PM.

• UtahAntShop likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 15 2021 - 5:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You could raise a colony to a large size in a mini-hearth, but the small foraging area may make escape proofing a challenge.

They may tunnel out of wood or plaster given time. They won’t be able to get through Perfect Cast.
With Crematogaster, ths nest isn’t really the issue if you give them lots of outworld space to roam.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted February 15 2021 - 6:00 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I'd either use a THA nest or make a nest fr5om hard plaster like Ultracal 30. Idk much about PerfectCast but that would probably work too.

#4 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 16 2021 - 7:44 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I would use the mini hearth. But other than that the perfect cast would be a good choice.

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted February 17 2021 - 10:59 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I had a Crematogaster colony chew out of a mini hearth once.

Edited by FeedTheAnts, February 17 2021 - 10:59 AM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#6 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 17 2021 - 11:04 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Huh. That is strange, but I have never kept crematogastor so I would not know.

#7 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 17 2021 - 11:19 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I would use the mini hearth. But other than that the perfect cast would be a good choice.

possible problem. They love to forage, so they're constantly try to come out lol

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster, nests, materials, formicariums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users