• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

reptile sand with calcium carbonate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antdoctor - Posted February 14 2021 - 1:25 PM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Hello,

I purchased sand intended for reptiles that contains calcium carbonate. I have since learned that this may not be ideal for ants as the calcium may interfere with pheromone signalling. Is there any truth to this? Has anyone tried one of these sands? I am making some home made formicaria and am using sand to coat chambers and such.

#2 Offline mmcguffi - Posted February 14 2021 - 1:30 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I'm not sure, that's an interesting thought though. I havent heard of Ca/pheromone interference, though I would suspect this would be on a species by species basis if it indeed does happen

Personally I have chosen not to use aragonite/calcium-based sands because the pH is not neutral -- granted it's only slightly basic, but since it's not totally inert I've avoided it

All that to say, I truly do not know if it is an issue, but I would suspect it is likely fine

#3 Offline antdoctor - Posted February 14 2021 - 4:31 PM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Thanks for your thoughts!

#4 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 14 2021 - 5:30 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Well chalk is made of the same material, and it does interfere with ants' pheromones.

#5 Offline mmcguffi - Posted February 14 2021 - 7:53 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Well chalk is made of the same material, and it does interfere with ants' pheromones.

I don't think this is true -- you can disrupt an ant's pheromone path by "writing over it" with chalk and thus blocking the trail, but I'm pretty certain the chalk itself is not disrupting the signaling at a molecular level. Maybe this is what you were thinking @antdoctor?

it would be incredibly strange if CaCO3 disrupted ant's signaling given that it's one of the earth's most abundant minerals (google puts it at ~7% https://www.google.c...4dUDCA0&uact=5)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users