• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Karunisu - Posted February 1 2021 - 1:33 AM

Karunisu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKent, United Kingdom

Welcome to my ant keeping journal! In this topic I'll cover all aspects of my ant keeping, including feeding, formicariums, experiments, etc.

Currently I keep 3 species - Lasius Niger [Black Garden Ants], Lasius Flavus [Yellow Meadow Ants], and Manica Rubida [European Giant Red Ant].

I have over 15 Colonies of Lasius Niger and Flavus, but only a single Queen of Manica Rubida (for now).
I'll be providing some regular Updates on each species, along with different setups I make and any failures in ant keeping.

I also make some Video Updates on my small Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube....sVfGdw/featured

• ANTdrew likes this

Karu [ AKA AntFocus ]

YT ~ https://www.youtube....sVfGdw/featured

DISCORD ~ Karunisu#5714

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 1 2021 - 4:22 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I will be following  :D

By the way, the species part of the name is not capitalized. For example, Lasius flavus.

• MinigunL5 and Karunisu like this

#3 Offline Spazmops - Posted February 1 2021 - 7:10 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

By the way, the species part of the name is not capitalized. For example, Lasius flavus.

Well, if you want to get nitpicky it would be italicized as well.

This seems like an interesting journal, I hope the Manica queen is successful. 

• Karunisu likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 1 2021 - 9:21 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Well, if you want to get nitpicky it would be italicized as well.

This seems like an interesting journal, I hope the Manica queen is successful. 

That's what everyone always says since I forget to do that every time  :facepalm:

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 1 2021 - 1:15 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Good luck with the Manica. From my understanding, European Manica are far more hardy than their North American counterparts.

• Karunisu likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline Karunisu - Posted February 7 2021 - 1:36 PM

Karunisu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind :)

Karu [ AKA AntFocus ]

DISCORD ~ Karunisu#5714

#7 Offline Karunisu - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:10 AM

Karunisu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

DIY Update - 08.02.21

I recently made a Ytong formicarium after ordering an A5 rectangle of acrylic (perspex) online.
The acrylic cover is the same size as an A5 sheet of paper so you can estimate the nest dimensions.

I used a flat-tipped screwdriver to carve out a general area for the nest, and then used a dremel to smooth out and deepen the chamber.
- The process took me about 2 hours excluding the time I waited for the paint to dry.

Some pros of the nest:

- Quite easy to make, I've made a ton of these and they aren't difficult if you have the right equipment.
- Easy to customize. There are a variety of different ideas to explore with each block of AAC, and I'll be trying out some unique ideas soon.
- Materials used are relatively cheap.

- It can easily house massive ants or small ants, as long as the colony is big.

- Hydration is easy and can the nest can be hydrated as much as I want.

Some cons of the nest:

- I couldn't use this nest with species that like to hang upside down such as Leptomyrmex or Myrmecocystus.

- I think more individual chambers would be better with this nest, as I feel it would make an ant colony inside feel more secure.

Attached Images

• 20210204_102957 (1) (1).jpg
  • 20210204_102917 (2) (1).jpg

• TechAnt and antsandmore like this

Karu [ AKA AntFocus ]

DISCORD ~ Karunisu#5714

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 8 2021 - 9:39 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Wow that looks really nice.

• Swirlysnowflake and Karunisu like this

#9 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 8 2021 - 10:14 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Lies, that's gotta be hydrostone or plaster No way would aac look that good 

• Karunisu likes this
We don’t talk about that

#10 Offline Karunisu - Posted February 8 2021 - 10:49 AM

Karunisu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Lies, that's gotta be hydrostone or plaster No way would aac look that good 

I spent some time smoothing it :)

Karu [ AKA AntFocus ]

DISCORD ~ Karunisu#5714

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2021 - 12:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

That looks very good! Nice job on that. Hope these colonies continue to do well.

Edited by NickAnter, February 8 2021 - 12:06 PM.

• Karunisu likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#12 Offline Karunisu - Posted February 18 2021 - 2:08 PM

Karunisu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

18.2.21 - Lasius flavus:
I currently have a few colonies of Lasius flavus, but over the past month one of the founding queens (who had 4 workers) was struggling a little.
Hibernation was difficult for this colony compared to the others, because ever since I caught this queen she was more difficult than the others.

Over the course of a few days all her nanitics died, I presume because of stress as I ruled out parasites, poison, heat, water, and food.
However, since last week, the queen has become more active, and she almost always accepts sugar water when I offer her some.

She hasn't layed any eggs, and there is no brood at all, but hopefully she'll begin making a recovery slowly.

Raising a colony successfully from a queen who has to go back to the beginning is pretty difficult in my opinion, but I have done it before, so there's still a chance with this one.

Attached Images

• 20210218_110238.jpg

Karu [ AKA AntFocus ]

DISCORD ~ Karunisu#5714

#13 Offline Karunisu - Posted February 18 2021 - 2:09 PM

Karunisu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I also uploaded a video yesterday on my Lasius niger. First narration but it should improve over time.

Karu [ AKA AntFocus ]

DISCORD ~ Karunisu#5714

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antkeeping, lasius, lasius niger, lasius flavus, manica rubida, myrmica rubra, diy setups, formicariums, vivariums, terrariums, ytong, plaster, anting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users