• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SO! Odontomachus catching in California?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 7 2021 - 2:52 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

yes, this is the question. Should I catch odontomachus in california! i personally think that it would be awesome to keep trap jaws...but, i wonder if catching a few queens will not be good for their population. 

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 7 2021 - 3:00 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

yes, this is the question. Should I catch odontomachus in california! i personally think that it would be awesome to keep trap jaws...but, i wonder if catching a few queens will not be good for their population. 

Go ahead, but make sure you are indeed within the Cali border.

• antsandmore likes this

#3 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 7 2021 - 3:02 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Good luck even finding them in the first place. As far as I'm aware, the only "proof" of Odontomachus in CA is a personal report from G.C. Snelling that was very close to the border of Arizona. However, no specimens were collected or images taken to back up this claim, and looking at the documented distribution of the western Odontomachus species, the only record with a reasonable distance from California is a single O. clarus record in Baja California, which is closer to the Mexican border rather than the Arizonan one, which doesn't line up with the description Snelling gave for the population he found. If any keeper in Cali does find Odontomachus in-state, the main priority should be collecting and preserving specimens for proper documentation rather than catching a queen to keep.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, Manitobant and 3 others like this

#4 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 7 2021 - 3:11 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

true

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#5 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 7 2021 - 3:18 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Good luck even finding them in the first place. As far as I'm aware, the only "proof" of Odontomachus in CA is a personal report from G.C. Snelling that was very close to the border of Arizona. However, no specimens were collected or images taken to back up this claim, and looking at the documented distribution of the western Odontomachus species, the only record with a reasonable distance from California is a single O. clarus record in Baja California, which is closer to the Mexican border rather than the Arizonan one, which doesn't line up with the description Snelling gave for the population he found. If any keeper in Cali does find Odontomachus in-state, the main priority should be collecting and preserving specimens for proper documentation rather than catching a queen to keep.

Thank you for the info!

Ants I am keeping:

#6 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 7 2021 - 4:43 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Highly unlikely that Odontomachus are in CA. It's sad, but true :( Only way you can get them right now is with a permit. Arizona populations may eventually spread into Southern CA, but that's not guaranteed. 

My YouTube channel :)

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 7 2021 - 6:11 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

For what it is worth, my father is the one that saw the specimen, however he to was skeptical as to the accuracy of the label data. This was a specimen he examined as part of a project he was working on.  He and I both looked for additional specimens in the area of collection and were unable to locate them. Not too surprising given the secretive nature of the genus in what can be considered marginal habitats ( even in Arizona where the genus is fairly common it is hard to find unless conditions are perfect) and due to the fact that a large portion of presumed habitat is now under houses. My guess is that if the ant was in California it could well be gone.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#8 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 7 2021 - 6:22 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

For what it is worth, my father is the one that saw the specimen, however he to was skeptical as to the accuracy of the label data. This was a specimen he examined as part of a project he was working on.  He and I both looked for additional specimens in the area of collection and were unable to locate them. Not too surprising given the secretive nature of the genus in what can be considered marginal habitats ( even in Arizona where the genus is fairly common it is hard to find unless conditions are perfect) and due to the fact that a large portion of presumed habitat is now under houses. My guess is that if the ant was in California it could well be gone.

This is actually a very valuable account of the event. Everything I've heard about it has mostly been hear-say. I have found a single place in Arizona with a seemingly large and/or dense Odontomachus population, and I have even found O. desertorum on the campus of a high school, but they definitely are not a common genus all things considered.

• gcsnelling likes this

#9 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 8 2021 - 9:27 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

so basically, If somebody were to find odontomachus, they need to study them instead of keeping them? so bascially, instead of keeping them as pets, the purpose for keeping them has to be studying their habits, where you found them, etc? or am i understanding this wrong?

Ants I am keeping:

#10 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 8 2021 - 9:38 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

so basically, If somebody were to find odontomachus, they need to study them instead of keeping them? so bascially, instead of keeping them as pets, the purpose for keeping them has to be studying their habits, where you found them, etc? or am i understanding this wrong?

First priority should absolutely be documentation. Collect specimens. Mark down coordinates, the soil type in the area, and the environment in which they were nesting, if a nest is found, and then send the preserved specimens into antweb for them to be imaged and documented properly.

• gcsnelling and Somethinghmm like this

#11 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 8 2021 - 9:54 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

First priority should absolutely be documentation. Collect specimens. Mark down coordinates, the soil type in the area, and the environment in which they were nesting, if a nest is found, and then send the preserved specimens into antweb for them to be imaged and documented properly.

thank you! so the only way to keep odontomachus in CA is pretty much getting a permit?

Ants I am keeping:

#12 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 8 2021 - 11:27 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

thank you! so the only way to keep odontomachus in CA is pretty much getting a permit?

Seems that way. A California O. clarus population is unlikely to exist in the first place, and even if it does it'll be a hell of a task finding it. It'd take far less effort to just get a permit for a common eastern US Odontomachus species and buy from there, where they're not very rare.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#13 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 8 2021 - 1:06 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Seems that way. A California O. clarus population is unlikely to exist in the first place, and even if it does it'll be a hell of a task finding it. It'd take far less effort to just get a permit for a common eastern US Odontomachus species and buy from there, where they're not very rare.

wait wait wait wait. Yes, so if there is a california O.Clarus population, and even if it took a lot of effort, do you think i could send some specimens somewhere and then keep them?

Also, is there any specific age for ppq 526 permits?

Ants I am keeping:

#14 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 8 2021 - 1:10 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

wait wait wait wait. Yes, so if there is a california O.Clarus population, and even if it took a lot of effort, do you think i could send some specimens somewhere and then keep them?

You'll probably need to be above 18. Ask your parents, that's what I'm doing (I'm trying to get an Odontomachus permit as well)

• Antkeeper01 and antsandmore like this

My YouTube channel :)

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 8 2021 - 1:42 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Don't even try to keep them would be my advice. Such a small population if it's even still hanging on is better off preserved. Documentation is all that's needed.

• CheetoLord02 and Swirlysnowflake like this

#16 Offline Arthroverts - Posted January 8 2021 - 3:42 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

One has to be of 18 years of age or older to apply. I know quite a few people have gone through their parents however; the parents end up being the "directors" and the minor being an "approved docent" who works with the specimen in question.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• antsandmore likes this

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#17 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 8 2021 - 4:08 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Don't even try to keep them would be my advice. Such a small population if it's even still hanging on is better off preserved. Documentation is all that's needed.

IF they are found in California specimens should be collected for deposition in one or more collections for future study.

#18 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 8 2021 - 4:17 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

"This is actually a very valuable account of the event. Everything I've heard about it has mostly been hear-say. I have found a single place in Arizona with a seemingly large and/or dense Odontomachus population, and I have even found O. desertorum on the campus of a high school, but they definitely are not a common genus all things considered."

Actually rarely encountered is a far more appropriate way of putting it. In my experience when the conditions are correct they can be on of the commonest ants I find when turning rocks in proper habitat. They can at times  be fairly conspicuous as well. I have found mounds being actively built around the base of plants.

ODONT2

odontomachus clarus1b

#19 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 8 2021 - 5:32 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

so, when a colony is found, collect specimens of every single worker and queen, then send it to a place where people study them? lol and if i really want to keep, i can just apply for a permit. nice

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Ants I am keeping:

#20 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 8 2021 - 6:51 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

No need to collect every single worker, 6-10 workers is usually considered an adequate sample size for study purposes. However if you find the genus is California, you will be lucky if you find more than one or two workers.

• CheetoLord02 and Swirlysnowflake like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users