• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

LowkeyLoaded’s Camponotus Floridanus journal

camponotus floridanus

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LowkeyLoaded - Posted December 18 2020 - 10:56 PM

LowkeyLoaded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Received a colony of 18 workers.

After feeding them and letting them stay in their test tube for a day, I then moved them into a THA mini hearth.
After moving them into a min hearth I went out and bought a macro lens 😏

This video was taken about 10 minutes after I got the colony and fed them. (No macro lens yet)

And here’s a nice shot of the queen! What a beauty, am I right?

Attached Images

• Photo Dec 23, 3 13 32 PM.png

Edited by LowkeyLoaded, December 23 2020 - 9:53 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Boog, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#2 Online ZTYguy - Posted December 18 2020 - 11:36 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Where be the video.

• LowkeyLoaded and eea like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 18 2020 - 11:36 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Where be the video.

Yas. I want da video...
  • eea likes this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 19 2020 - 7:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

As do I. Also did you know that C. floridanus is one of the fastest growing Camponotus in the US? In captivity they're reached 1,000 workers in a year before.

• TennesseeAnts, LowkeyLoaded and eea like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 19 2020 - 9:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

As do I. Also did you know that C. floridanus is one of the fastest growing Camponotus in the US? In captivity they're reached 1,000 workers in a year before.

Sounds like my kind of Camponotus.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 19 2020 - 10:40 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

As do I. Also did you know that C. floridanus is one of the fastest growing Camponotus in the US? In captivity they're reached 1,000 workers in a year before.

that's how the entire subgenus Myrmothrix is. My Camponotus atriceps colony is about 4 months old and they have several hundred workers. 1,000 workers in a year is standard for Myrmothrix, and they can easily get more with more aggressive feeding and whatnot.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and eea like this

#7 Offline LowkeyLoaded - Posted December 23 2020 - 8:53 PM

LowkeyLoaded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Day December 16th 2020

Approximately 20 workers.

A nice advantage of my colony settling into their mini hearth, is that now I could power feed them quite easily.

And that is exactly what I intend to do. I want everyone here to see how quickly this species grows and how large the colony can get.

Today I fed them 10 fruit flies. After the feeding I saw a lot of worker - queen trophallaxis. 

Luckily for me this queen likes the spotlight and never has stage fright, so like a true movie star she posed for me while I got this incredible shot of trophallaxis between her and one of her workers. You will also notice that I now have a macro lens for my iPhone.

I also put together a short clip of a quick fruit fly hunt. Enjoy everyone. 

Also, check out that brood pile! Can't wait to see this colony take off!

Attached Images

• DEC 16th PHOTO.jpg

Edited by LowkeyLoaded, December 23 2020 - 8:56 PM.

• ANTdrew, Boog, Fatatoille and 1 other like this

#8 Offline LowkeyLoaded - Posted December 24 2020 - 12:20 PM

LowkeyLoaded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Where be the video.

Video posted. One more coming tomorrow.
  • eea likes this

#9 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 24 2020 - 12:28 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Going to preface this by saying I don't care if you got these ants from somewhere else, but your profile states you're in Texas. TX does not have C. floridanus, however it does have C. atriceps, the sister species to Floridanus. The populations of C. atriceps in the more northern parts of their range in Texas have a color scheme that is very similar to C. floridanus, and your colony appears to match. I'm just curious if this may be a mis-ID, since it seems likely to me, assuming your colony is from Texas.

• Aaron567, AnthonyP163, LowkeyLoaded and 1 other like this

#10 Offline LowkeyLoaded - Posted December 25 2020 - 5:05 PM

LowkeyLoaded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Going to preface this by saying I don't care if you got these ants from somewhere else, but your profile states you're in Texas. TX does not have C. floridanus, however it does have C. atriceps, the sister species to Floridanus. The populations of C. atriceps in the more northern parts of their range in Texas have a color scheme that is very similar to C. floridanus, and your colony appears to match. I'm just curious if this may be a mis-ID, since it seems likely to me, assuming your colony is from Texas.

This colony was collected in Florida. Yes I live in Texas.
After examining them extensively I have concluded they are indeed C. Floridanus, however, corrections are welcome here. If you see something that makes you think otherwise please enlighten me.
I understand your assumption given I live in Texas, and I thank you for your response and interest in my colony.

Cheers
  • eea likes this

#11 Offline LowkeyLoaded - Posted December 25 2020 - 10:14 PM

LowkeyLoaded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Day video was taken: December 22nd

Worker count: 21

Today I noticed a new worker in the nest and started filming. 

I have also been feeding them plenty of fruit flies and a few very tiny captive breed hornworms (caterpillars) as well as nectar and honey.

They go nuts over these hornworms, dead or alive. I believe it gives the colony a real boost of protein and it always seems like the brood is well fed after and the queen lays more eggs. I have seen her lay a couple of eggs and I have noticed two small clutches of 6-8 clustered together.

Here is a rather long video of my colony. You will see footage of the newly eclosed worker as well as the feeding response brought on by a small hornworm. Enjoy!

• Boog likes this

#12 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 26 2020 - 10:27 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

After examining them extensively I have concluded they are indeed C. Floridanus, however, corrections are welcome here. If you see something that makes you think otherwise please enlighten me.
I understand your assumption given I live in Texas, and I thank you for your response and interest in my colony.

Cheers

If they're from Florida then they're definitely floridanus. Just curious since I haven't seen anybody keeping the northern C. atriceps variant and I thought it'd be cool to see. Floridanus are still one of the best NA Camponotus, so this colony should be a ton of fun for ya.

#13 Offline LowkeyLoaded - Posted December 26 2020 - 10:59 AM

LowkeyLoaded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Cheers
If they're from Florida then they're definitely floridanus. Just curious since I haven't seen anybody keeping the northern C. atriceps variant and I thought it'd be cool to see. Floridanus are still one of the best NA Camponotus, so this colony should be a ton of fun for ya.

Yes, they should prove to be quite interesting and entertaining for all of us here. I chose this specific species because of their size and growth rate and I will provide a very dedicated journal on this colony for years to come. (As long as everything goes well for them)
I have THA formicariums of all sizes ready to go for this colony. They have a heat cable touching the corner of their mini hearth which they absolutely love. They definitely like to “cook” their brood next to the heat to speed up their rate of growth.
I am interested in C. atriceps though. How do they compare to Floridanus in terms of worker size and colony growth rate?
Since they are a sister species I would imagine they are similar.

Cheers

Edited by LowkeyLoaded, December 27 2020 - 1:27 PM.

#14 Offline ArmansAnts - Posted December 26 2020 - 11:01 AM

ArmansAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNew York City

That colony seems to be doing great, hopefully they grow really fast as usual for them.

• LowkeyLoaded likes this

Ant-Keeping & Ethology Discord Server: https://discord.gg/2QdvQescDW
Arman's Ants YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube....r6PhuBZiYATC-Gg

My Journal: https://www.formicul...-updated-91620/

Looking for news in Myrmecology? Click below!

antwire_formi.png

#15 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 26 2020 - 11:39 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Cheers

Yes they should prove to quote a interesting and entertaining for all of us here. I chose this specific species because of their size and growth rate and I will provide a very dedicated journal on this colony for years to come. (As long as everything goes well for them)
I have THA formicariums of all sizes ready to go for this colony. They have a heat cable touching the corner of their mini hearth which they absolutely love. They definitely like to “cook” their brood next to the heat to speed up their rate of growth.
I am interested in C. atriceps though. How do they compare to Floridanus in terms of worker size and colony growth rate?

Cheers

atriceps and floridanus are extraordinarily similar. floridanus is actually just a population of atriceps that was geographically isolated, and evolved enough to be considered a different species. The one thing I've noticed with my atriceps colony is that they seem to be far less aggressive than floridanus are. The majority have a distinct color difference, but certain atriceps population in Texas have the red/black color scheme of floridanus, and some highland floridanus populations are a more brown color, reminiscent of atriceps. It's all really interesting. I'll probably make a journal on my atriceps once I get home, since they're proving to be pretty interesting.

• Fatatoille and LowkeyLoaded like this

#16 Offline LowkeyLoaded - Posted December 26 2020 - 11:57 PM

LowkeyLoaded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Cheers
Yes they should prove to quote a interesting and entertaining for all of us here. I chose this specific species because of their size and growth rate and I will provide a very dedicated journal on this colony for years to come. (As long as everything goes well for them)

Cheers
atriceps and floridanus are extraordinarily similar. floridanus is actually just a population of atriceps that was geographically isolated, and evolved enough to be considered a different species. The one thing I've noticed with my atriceps colony is that they seem to be far less aggressive than floridanus are. The majority have a distinct color difference, but certain atriceps population in Texas have the red/black color scheme of floridanus, and some highland floridanus populations are a more brown color, reminiscent of atriceps. It's all really interesting. I'll probably make a journal on my atriceps once I get home, since they're proving to be pretty interesting.

Thanks for the info!
You should make a journal! I’d love to follow along and compare differences between our two colonies! And yes these guys are already aggressive and they haven’t even broken 25 workers yet. I’m very excited to watch this colony explode. I feed them fruit flies everyday and they aggressively hunt them down. Every ant’s gastor is swollen since they have a constant supply of two types of carbs (sunburst ant nectar and pure organic honey) and a steady stream of fruit flies to keep the brood coming. I really hope I’m over 1,000 workers this time next year. How large is your colony?
  • CheetoLord02 likes this

#17 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 27 2020 - 10:09 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Cheers

Thanks for the info!
You should make a journal! I’d love to follow along and compare differences between our two colonies! And yes these guys are already aggressive and they haven’t even broken 25 workers yet. I’m very excited to watch this colony explode. I feed them fruit flies everyday and they aggressively hunt them down. Every ant’s gastor is swollen since they have a constant supply of two types of carbs (sunburst ant nectar and pure organic honey) and a steady stream of fruit flies to keep the brood coming. I really hope I’m over 1,000 workers this time next year. How large is your colony?

That feeding sounds absolutely perfect. My colony got nanitics in mid august and is now at a few hundred workers. I typically use crickets and sunburst as their main diet, with the occasional fruit fly.

• LowkeyLoaded likes this

#18 Offline LowkeyLoaded - Posted December 28 2020 - 11:19 AM

LowkeyLoaded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Here's a quick update of my colony!
They have now started their first trash pile. Right now it only consist of fruit fly carcasses.
And I finally got to use my Bioquip battery operated aspirator!

Check out the new clutch of eggs in the back! Also, notice how bloated the gastors are on these workers, you can really see their gastor stripes much better after they have been feeding heavily! They look like they are going to burst!
CCE4F9F3-79CA-4B3C-A506-204773DD4796.jpeg

A pic of the queen resting behind a stalactite on the ceiling.
2F8280D9-0EA1-4C8D-A765-926E00E51A92.jpeg

A pic of some of the pupae. Most of these should be open in less than a week pushing the colony’s numbers to over 30! I think I have counted 13 pupae and a two large clutches of eggs I would estimate to be around 30 -35 eggs total and just a handful of small to medium larvae 5-6. Not that you can see all of that in this photo.
0AC99816-2FDC-49E9-88BB-06857268D165.jpeg

EGGS!!! and some larvae. Btw we are at 23 workers.
3BEBD4C9-1C20-42F2-9295-2C2FD4142204.jpeg

Edited by LowkeyLoaded, December 30 2020 - 10:44 PM.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#19 Offline LowkeyLoaded - Posted January 8 2021 - 1:14 PM

LowkeyLoaded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Photos taken on January 6th.
Approximately 35-36 workers now.
Previous egg clutch has hatched and now there are many small larvae and another fresh clutch of eggs.

We’ve got our first major!
7CF56421-BFCE-45F5-8450-75EF8F86AA06.jpeg
Another shot of the major.
CB7F3EC3-C08A-4C17-AE7B-317374591C56.jpeg
Shot of the colony slowly starting to fill up this mini hearth.
In 2 months time or less I will need to move them to something a bit larger.
11C667DA-C53C-4009-8DDB-1CB888F024D2.jpeg
  • CheetoLord02 and eea like this

#20 Offline Spazmops - Posted January 8 2021 - 9:01 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado
Those pics are awesome! Do you have any tips for getting the lighting so clear?

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus floridanus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users