• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for a crematogaster colony will pay well

crematogaster

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline thepixelbro - Posted December 17 2020 - 10:46 AM

thepixelbro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach Florida

Looking to buy a crematogaster colony, I am in Florida and will pay a good price for them. They are my favorite ants and been doing a ton of research. Now I feel like I'm ready to get into it .

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 17 2020 - 10:47 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

i can find you some shops.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 17 2020 - 10:48 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

here you go, https://www.formicul...020/?hl=florida

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#4 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 17 2020 - 11:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Crematogaster are the best.

• Ants_Dakota and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Devi - Posted December 17 2020 - 4:20 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I hope to get my hands on them someday...  I know of some super amazing colonies near me, maybe next summer I can catch their nuptial flight.  

#6 Offline antsandmore - Posted December 17 2020 - 4:29 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

yeah these sure are cool. i got one as my first species on sunday :) so cute

• ANTdrew likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#7 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 17 2020 - 4:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I hope to get my hands on them someday... I know of some super amazing colonies near me, maybe next summer I can catch their nuptial flight.
I hope you find them. It will be worth the effort.
  • Devi likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline antsandmore - Posted December 17 2020 - 4:56 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

yes. I hope i find some myself and raise them.

I also hope I can get some species next anting season but idk what i'll find well i guess ill see in spring

• Devi likes this

Ants I am keeping:

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 18 2020 - 6:11 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

and to think i had my hands on one, and them it slipped out of my hands. i am still so mad about that!!!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#10 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 18 2020 - 8:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

That's harsh.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#11 Offline UtahAnts - Posted December 18 2020 - 8:34 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

I randomly found some queens under a rock last season, probably basking in the heat. They had just laid a nice batch of eggs and did great until I put one them into an unwashed firebrick formicarium. Now its just the queen, all 9 workers died. The good news: lesson learned. They are very fun ants to watch, with their heart shaped gasters, ect. Often I find my ants when I least expect them. ALWAYS carry a test-tube or container with you to wherever you go. I have lost many a queen because I didn't have a container on hand. These ants often fly in august after a rainstorm.

-Good luck!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 19 2020 - 7:30 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I hope to get my hands on them someday...  I know of some super amazing colonies near me, maybe next summer I can catch their nuptial flight.  

Ants_Dakota knows of a spot close by where he found a whole Crema colony under a rock. This summer we're going back there. https://en.wikipedia...unds_State_Park

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline thepixelbro - Posted December 21 2020 - 7:42 AM

thepixelbro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach Florida

I randomly found some queens under a rock last season, probably basking in the heat. They had just laid a nice batch of eggs and did great until I put one them into an unwashed firebrick formicarium. Now its just the queen, all 9 workers died. The good news: lesson learned. They are very fun ants to watch, with their heart shaped gasters, ect. Often I find my ants when I least expect them. ALWAYS carry a test-tube or container with you to wherever you go. I have lost many a queen because I didn't have a container on hand. These ants often fly in august after a rainstorm.

-Good luck!

Ahhh i totally feel that, Same thing happened to me 2 years ago, Was it the formicarium or the movement of homes? We will get lucky next year!!

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 21 2020 - 7:57 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Ants_Dakota knows of a spot close by where he found a whole Crema colony under a rock. This summer we're going back there. https://en.wikipedia...unds_State_Park

if it is still there. i really want to document what species i find there.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#15 Offline UtahAnts - Posted December 21 2020 - 8:50 AM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

-Good luck!

Ahhh i totally feel that, Same thing happened to me 2 years ago, Was it the formicarium or the movement of homes? We will get lucky next year!!

I had not washed the firebrick out. They moved in fine, looked pretty comfy.

Yeah looking forward to finding some queens, hopefully I can get my hands on a suitable backlight to find some interesting species next year!

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#16 Offline antsandmore - Posted December 30 2020 - 10:25 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

-Good luck!

Great advice. I'll probably carry around test tubes even now because who knows? maybe I'll encounter some Unexpected flights.

Ants I am keeping:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users