• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vacation Feeder

vacation holiday feeder crystals

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crystals - Posted October 23 2013 - 11:00 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Ever want to make a vacation feeder?  Here is how to make one using flightless fruit flies.

The feeder will more or less just be a fruit fly culture that allows the newly emerging flies to leave the culture cup and drop into the outworld.

Start the feeder about two weeks in advance (time will vary depending on fly species and temperature).
These vacation feeders usually only last a week or so, as that is about how long it takes for the flies to emerge from the pupae.  A tight fitting lid on your outworld is highly recommended. 

Find one of those disposable deli cups (or any other plastic container) that will easily fit inside.  The size will depend on the size of your outworld

Add 2-3 holes in the lid about 3-5mm wide, stuff them with cotton for now.

Add your fruit fly medium and something for them to climb on (pieces of paper plates, etc).  Add fruit flies.  The bigger your ant colony, the bigger the container and the more fruit flies you will need to use.  If your outworld is large enough, you can use several containers.

Once the fruti fly maggots start to pupate, place the container in the outworld and remove the cotton plugs. 

Hang the container from the lid in your outworld so the ants can't get in.  This is the easiest route. 
Or you can add some fluon or some sort of ant barrier to the outer edge of the container so the ants don't get inside the container and get stuck. 

When the flies emerge a number of them will leave the container and jump, and being flightless, end up on the ground where your ants can enjoy them.  Some may remain in the container to start a second generation before leaving, which may prolong your feeder (and intensify its odor).

This is a great way to simulate natural foraging, or it will also work if you just wish to provide your ants with easy "snacks" in between meals.

To learn more about how to culture fruit flies, please see my thread Culturing Fruit Flies: http://forum.formicu...ng-fruit-flies/

Can anyone else think of other easy vacation feeders?

Edited by Crystals, October 23 2013 - 11:02 AM.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#2 Offline Victor - Posted December 31 2013 - 4:40 AM

Victor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Rock candy is great,too.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted December 31 2013 - 7:52 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Sugary foods are pretty easy to provide for if you are gone.  I prefer ant waterers with hummingbird nectar in them   (http://forum.formicu...-liquid-feeder/).

I am trying to collect ideas on how to feed a colony protein if I am gone.  Most insects dry out in a few days.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 31 2013 - 8:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Some of my ants, mainly Pogonomyrmex continue to eat dead, dried up ants for a quite some time. I'm assuming they are still getting some protein from the dried up ants. Seems it wouldn't be much different than us eating beef jerky. I even just read a few minutes ago how honeypot ants sometimes will eat dead Pogonomyrmex pieces they find around the entrance of the Pogonomyrmex nests for protein too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vacation, holiday, feeder, crystals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users