• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibneration Egg Laying

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rcflyer - Posted November 20 2020 - 6:46 AM

rcflyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

My crematogaster queen caughted from Maine NY currently in hibernation laid two eggs.  Is it normal for them to lay eggs during hibernation and will the egg be ok.  Queen is in test tube inside the house by windows about 50s to 60s degree.  New to ants keeping I don't want to put queen in my fridge. 

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 20 2020 - 7:01 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

then the queen is not in hibernation, if she laid eggs. it must not be cold enough.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline rcflyer - Posted November 20 2020 - 7:20 AM

rcflyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Since she is fully claustra but now with eggs should I try feeding her honey/sugar water or insect? 

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 20 2020 - 7:31 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Since she is fully claustra but now with eggs should I try feeding her honey/sugar water or insect? 

you don't need to, but if you want to, you can.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users