• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Noobie needs Help! =)

myrmecia fulvipes rhytidoponera aspera

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Egghead8888 - Posted November 17 2020 - 2:48 AM

Egghead8888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Hi All

My name is Egg and I am from Australia Adelaide

I am super new to all these but am very excited to get started.

At the moment, I am expecting my new Rhytidoponera Aspera queen to be arriving anytime now but even though I have tried researching online, there just don't seem to be a lot of information on this particular species

All I can do research on the Rhytidoponera Metallica instead because I was told that they are very similar

The other species I am very keen to understand more about is the Myrmecia Fulvipes which I right now, I might have the opportunity to acquire but am not sure whether or not I should

Absolutely love this ant and how they look and how they behave and interact with each other.

Same issue however is that there don't seem to be a lot of information out there on this specifict species also

If there is anyone here that have had previos experiences with these ants and or is currently looking after a colony of Aspera and Fulvipes, I would love to pick your brains to learn more about how to look after them property

I am also very new to using forums like this so if there is anything I am doing wrong, please let me know =)

Looking forwards to speaking with you all soon I hope and have ant keeping everyone

Cheers :D

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 17 2020 - 4:22 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

If you are looking for care sheets, people don't really make them for ants. Myrmecia are extremely difficult so I do not recommend getting them.

• Egghead8888 likes this

#3 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 17 2020 - 4:46 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

You should wait to keep Myrmecia until you're a bit more experienced. You should try to get Aphaenogaster or Camponotus.

• Egghead8888 likes this

#4 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 17 2020 - 7:25 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Myrmecia founding is usually pretty tough, but after they get a decent amount of workers they'll probably do well.

• Egghead8888 likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 17 2020 - 7:52 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

You should wait to keep Myrmecia until you're a bit more experienced. You should try to get Aphaenogaster or Camponotus.

aphaenogaster can be hard too, as they have no social stomach, which means you need to have food in their setup constantly. some myrmecia are also extremely dangerous and aggressive.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, November 17 2020 - 7:56 AM.

• Egghead8888 likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 17 2020 - 9:18 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

aphaenogaster can be hard too, as they have no social stomach, which means you need to have food in their setup constantly. some myrmecia are also extremely dangerous and aggressive.

Actually they can be easier. All you have to do is put some nuts and seeds (with elaiosomes) in there, and that will last them a while.

• Ants_Dakota, MinigunL5 and Egghead8888 like this

#7 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 17 2020 - 9:22 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I have been doing ant keeping for a while now and I wouldn't dare try raising any myrmecia queens but I would do it if they had over 15 workers and that certain colony was growing at a steady/fast rate (of course I can't because I live in america).

• Egghead8888 likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 17 2020 - 9:24 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Actually they can be easier. All you have to do is put some nuts and seeds (with elaiosomes) in there, and that will last them a while.

in my experience not, but we all have different experiences. 

• Kaelwizard, Devi and Egghead8888 like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 17 2020 - 9:27 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

It's also the same with any other ant. They all need food in their setup. You still leave a liquid feeder in another genera's setup.

• Ants_Dakota and Egghead8888 like this

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 17 2020 - 12:55 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

in my experience not, but we all have different experiences. 

Any ant is easy if you can care for it right  :lol: I've seen people cheese the founding stage of myrmecia by providing a constant flow of insect prey, and aphaenogaster are some of the easiest ants I've kept as long as they have a ready source of moisture in their nest.

• Ants_Dakota, Devi and Egghead8888 like this

#11 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 17 2020 - 12:59 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

ah well, hopefully i will get another chance to keep aphaenogaster.

• Egghead8888 likes this

#12 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 17 2020 - 3:58 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Myrmecia founding is usually pretty tough, but after they get a decent amount of workers they'll probably do well.

Can't you just dump a bunch of table sugar in their outworld?

• Egghead8888 likes this

#13 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 17 2020 - 5:44 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

They eat lots of insects and tend to eat their brood from what I've heard.

• Ants_Dakota, MinigunL5 and Egghead8888 like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 18 2020 - 8:13 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

They eat lots of insects and tend to eat their brood from what I've heard.

i have heard the same.

• Egghead8888 likes this

#15 Offline Egghead8888 - Posted November 20 2020 - 8:36 PM

Egghead8888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Thank you everyone for your replies and comments

So has anyone here that actually tried raising a Myremcia queen which can share some experiences also?

Just love to hear more about what their 1st hand experiences and process is like

Just love these particular type so much so I really want learn more about how to raise them

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2020-11-21 150802.png

Edited by Egghead8888, November 20 2020 - 8:37 PM.

#16 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 21 2020 - 10:57 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

The only thing I really know about that species, is that Ants Australia said they are more dangerous than some of his other species. Not sure what the founding for them is compared to others, but what we all said is based on the first hand experience of other people. Trust me, if you are new, don't try this species yet. Not only because they are hard to found, but because if you are not careful enough, it could be dangerous.

Edited by Kaelwizard, November 21 2020 - 10:59 AM.

• MinigunL5 and Egghead8888 like this

#17 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 21 2020 - 10:46 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Well all I know is that you are going to need to stock up on fluon and get an escape proof nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Egghead8888 likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 22 2020 - 12:50 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Well all I know is that you are going to need to stock up on fluon and get an escape proof nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This species can jump and I believe Ants Australia's got over fluon.

• MinigunL5 and Egghead8888 like this

#19 Offline Phillip_Island_Anter - Posted November 22 2020 - 7:52 PM

Phillip_Island_Anter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

hi there egghead

Thank you everyone for your replies and comments

So has anyone here that actually tried raising a Myremcia queen which can share some experiences also?

Just love to hear more about what their 1st hand experiences and process is like

Just love these particular type so much so I really want learn more about how to raise them

I have raised 2 queens (nigiceps and pyriformis) to the point of multiple workers. They are challenging, but as long as you are attentive and have some experience looking after ants it's not too difficult. I raised mine in a small founding nest made from ytong, rahter than a test tube. This let me introduce foods and liquids easily, witout risk of escape or attack. that was about it really, just give them plenty of sugary liquids, some prey for their larvae and keep an eye on humidiy in the nest (I kept the ytong fairly dry). They are truely fascinating ants and really do have their own personalities.

if you have any specific questions, please let me know! 

• Egghead8888 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users