• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmica sp.? Jasper, IN - 10-17-2020

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted October 17 2020 - 6:30 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

I caught both of these queens on October 8th during the daylight hours of the evening. They are 7 mm long and I think they are Myrmica?

IMG 7843
IMG 7844
IMG 7849
IMG 7850

Care tips are also appreciated.

Edit: it also appears as though one queen has mites, shucks.

Edited by CatsnAnts, October 17 2020 - 6:31 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Spoiler

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 17 2020 - 7:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Definitely Myrmica, although I cannot go any further than that. They look similar to mine, however I'm not even sure what they are. They have 4 queens btw. 

Also, I have founded a Discord Server. Would you be interested in joining? Link in my signature. 

• CatsnAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 17 2020 - 8:11 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Myrmica are one of the hardest genera to definitively ID because of the amount of undescribed species and the similarities between species. You would probably need a microscope.
  • TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 17 2020 - 8:54 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Considering the quality of these photos microscope examination would not be necessary(although preferable), even more so if you want to keep these alive. I'm not able to help but you could try taking pics of different angles and follow a key of your region to get a basic idea of who they are.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#5 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted October 17 2020 - 9:55 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Do you live in an area with a high sand content?

Myrmica spatulata complex is often dominating sandy prairies here in WI, and I found a bunch of queens this fall as well. There's many options, and we surely cannot make a definite ID based solely on soil makeup, but it could be relevant. 

• CheetoLord02 and CatsnAnts like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#6 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted October 17 2020 - 10:02 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Do you live in an area with a high sand content?

Myrmica spatulata complex is often dominating sandy prairies here in WI, and I found a bunch of queens this fall as well. There's many options, and we surely cannot make a definite ID based solely on soil makeup, but it could be relevant.

The general area around where I live is dominated by clay soils, however, we do have a patch in our yard that is particularly sandy (and even more of a coincidence that I found these queens there).

Spoiler

#7 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 18 2020 - 5:56 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

These queens do bare a striking resemblance to Myrmica spatulata. You're lucky if they are, because in my opinion M. spatulata are the best Myrmica species in North America.

• CatsnAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users