• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica Questions...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted October 15 2020 - 4:37 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado
I have a Formica queen in a mini hearth and she has one nanitic... She hasn't been laying any more eggs and I am concerned about her. When should I start feeding her? Neither the queen or nanitic have ever gone in the outworld... I may just hibernate them and hope she will be rejuvenated for next year.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:03 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I would move her back into a test tube. the moisture is better and there is less space.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, October 15 2020 - 5:46 PM.

• Thunder_Birds likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline Devi - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:05 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Why?

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:14 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

there is too much space. my formica seem to hate space

Edited by Ants_Dakota, October 15 2020 - 5:46 PM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#5 Offline Devi - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:38 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
Hmmm. What does everybody else think? If that is the overall consensus I will move her... Thank you for the input Ants_Dakota!
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:45 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Hmmm. What does everybody else think? If that is the overall consensus I will move her... Thank you for the input Ants_Dakota!

no problem!

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:51 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
She won't lay any more eggs until after hibernation. Formica have a broodless diapause.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:53 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

She won't lay any more eggs until after hibernation. Formica have a broodless diapause.

yup. and that is unfortunate, as i also have a formica queen with 1 nanitic, and if that nanitic dies in diapause...

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think moving my F. pallidefulva into a mini-hearth was a bad idea. I say try the test tube, or better yet, a dirt set up.
  • Ants_Dakota and TestSubjectOne like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted October 15 2020 - 7:05 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I agree with what everyone says about this. But, in summary, it would would probably be a good idea to move them into a test tube. And, after hibernation next year, they will start to grow more. I wouldn't be to worried about it ;)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#11 Offline Spazmops - Posted October 15 2020 - 7:52 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

I have a Formica fusca group queen with 3 nanitics, it's like Manitobant said. 

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#12 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 16 2020 - 6:41 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

i think anything like pallidefulva or smaller should not be in a mini hearth until they start outgrowing a test tube but a formica argentea queen would be fine in a mini hearth as a founding queen honestly, i've seen it many times and those queens started thriving after laying eggs.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#13 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 16 2020 - 6:42 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

i am just like you, devi. i am to hurried to move ants into a bigger nest before they are ready. try to wait a bit until they are too crammed in a test tube to grow more. or give them a small outworld for their test tube.

• Thunder_Birds and Devi like this

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 16 2020 - 8:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

There is no significant size difference between F. argentea and F. pallidefulva.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#15 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 16 2020 - 12:40 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Maybe mines subsercia or however you spell it but for mine there is a significant size difference and it’s a pretty big difference. Such a big difference that I had to put my sub queen in a 20mm test tube while the pall queen with 7 workers fit in a 10 mm test tube.
We don’t talk about that

#16 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 17 2020 - 12:50 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Subsericea is only different than argentea in antennae length so probably not that either.
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users