• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New ant-keeper in Ontario, California

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BrandonM - Posted October 14 2020 - 11:29 AM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOntario, California
Hi All,

My name is Brandon and as the title says, I’m located in Ontario, CA (not Canada ).

I just started with a C. Vicinus queen and 5 workers that I acquired from Nurbs (Thank you sir!) and am looking forward to adding to my collection.

I am using ant-keeping as a reason to exercise and taking lots of walks and hikes looking out for any nests, queens, and general ant activity in my neighborhood.

I’ve read and been told that I’m a little late to collect queens this year, but am ready and keeping an eye out for any/all colonies nearby and watching for any changes in behavior.

I even have a white sheet and a black light at the ready.

I look forward to the discussions and have already learned a lot from what is already published here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TennesseeAnts, B_rad0806, Ants_Dakota and 5 others like this

#2 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:59 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Good to have another ant keeper our number just keeps spiking, so many people are ant keepers in california now!

We don’t talk about that

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:01 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

i do have a question for anyone. why is there so many antkeepers in california? is it because of the warm weather or because that is where this forum is based? we only have like 5 active antkeepers here in South Dakota.

but also welcome, brandonM

• BrandonM likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline BrandonM - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:31 AM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi Ants_Dakota, I can’t speak for anyone but myself and don’t want to make this political in any way, but I was getting stir-crazy since everything is closed or severely curtailed in our state. Fortunately, “nature” is still open and yes, the weather is in our favor to get out more frequently. I’m the type of person that needs to have a purpose to exercise, treadmills and exercise bicycles don’t work for me; however, my wife complains how I make her walk the entire Las Vegas strip while we “people watch” and enjoy our adult beverages.

Taking walks while constantly searching for ant activity on the path and around me has reinvigorated me and quite honestly, keeps me from getting bored.

My penchant for ants (insects and bugs in general) started as a child and our current social environment has allowed me to go back to my roots. Plus the fact that my wife is ok with me bringing animals in the house that I normally would spray for. I guess I should also mention the other benefit to her, me being out of the house. After 7 months of being cooped up with me, she encourages me to “get out and go look for some ants”.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#5 Offline BrandonM - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:38 AM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
On another note, wanting to comply with this forum, how the heck do I update my profile to add my location? I am hoping to buy, sell, and trade ants here and want to make sure I follow the rules.

• Devi likes this

#6 Offline Devi - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:50 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

On another note, wanting to comply with this forum, how the heck do I update my profile to add my location? I am hoping to buy, sell, and trade ants here and want to make sure I follow the rules.

Just click on your name, (in the above post) and there should be a button titled "edit profile."  Click on that and you can change or add information such as location, age, birthday, gender, etc.  All of these are optional, but general location is madatory for all buying and selling in the marketplace, per forum rules.  Glad to have you here!  :D

#7 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:52 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Welcome to the forum!

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:52 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hi Ants_Dakota, I can’t speak for anyone but myself and don’t want to make this political in any way, but I was getting stir-crazy since everything is closed or severely curtailed in our state. Fortunately, “nature” is still open and yes, the weather is in our favor to get out more frequently. I’m the type of person that needs to have a purpose to exercise, treadmills and exercise bicycles don’t work for me; however, my wife complains how I make her walk the entire Las Vegas strip while we “people watch” and enjoy our adult beverages.

Taking walks while constantly searching for ant activity on the path and around me has reinvigorated me and quite honestly, keeps me from getting bored.

My penchant for ants (insects and bugs in general) started as a child and our current social environment has allowed me to go back to my roots. Plus the fact that my wife is ok with me bringing animals in the house that I normally would spray for. I guess I should also mention the other benefit to her, me being out of the house. After 7 months of being cooped up with me, she encourages me to “get out and go look for some ants”.

sounds awesome! i hope you enjoy your anting experience! feel free to ask anyone on here any questions, as we would love to answer them!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#9 Offline BrandonM - Posted October 15 2020 - 7:14 AM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Just click on your name, (in the above post) and there should be a button titled "edit profile." Click on that and you can change or add information such as location, age, birthday, gender, etc. All of these are optional, but general location is madatory for all buying and selling in the marketplace, per forum rules. Glad to have you here! :D

Thank you Devi! I was able to make the updates to my profile by going into web view, where I was able to locate the edit feature. I’m hoping my updates took and are now visible to the forum. Thanks again!

• Ants_Dakota and Devi like this

#10 Offline BrandonM - Posted October 15 2020 - 7:26 AM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Good to have another ant keeper our number just keeps spiking, so many people are ant keepers in california now!

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 16 2020 - 6:38 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Welcome!

#12 Offline BrandonM - Posted October 16 2020 - 6:49 AM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Welcome!

Thank you!

#13 Offline M_Ants - Posted October 16 2020 - 12:45 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

i do have a question for anyone. why is there so many antkeepers in california? is it because of the warm weather or because that is where this forum is based? we only have like 5 active antkeepers here in South Dakota.

but also welcome, brandonM

I feel the same way because everyone in California is around LA. Not many ant keepers down where I am. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#14 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 16 2020 - 12:50 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Not sure, mabye when drew started the forum, he invited some antkeeping friends, that invited some friends, that invited some friends.

Not to mention the larger the forum, the more people talk about it. This forum certainly had some drive that made it the big forum it is today.

Some people came here from AntsCanada too.

(Not to hijack the thread, if we want to talk about this more, this should go on another thread)

Edited by TechAnt, October 16 2020 - 12:51 PM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#15 Offline BrandonM - Posted October 16 2020 - 1:10 PM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Welcome!

Thank you!

#16 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted October 20 2020 - 12:14 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Welcome! (i’m late haha)

this forum is great, my love for ants was inspired when i found this forum

hope u enjoy your time here! 

My YouTube channel :)

#17 Offline BrandonM - Posted October 20 2020 - 1:21 PM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Welcome! (i’m late haha)
this forum is great, my love for ants was inspired when i found this forum
hope u enjoy your time here!

Thank you, I’m learning a lot.

#18 Offline ZTYguy - Posted October 20 2020 - 1:25 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Welcome welcome. Always nice to see new (profile) faces.  :D

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#19 Offline BrandonM - Posted October 20 2020 - 1:26 PM

BrandonM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Welcome welcome. Always nice to see new (profile) faces. :D

Thank you!

#20 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 20 2020 - 2:51 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
It’s probably because it’s such a large and diverse state that ant keeping is amazing over there with more species than you could ask for but also good to see another ant keeper this year.
We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users