• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help for mini hearths

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 19 2020 - 1:08 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I have some colony’s that are outgrowing there test tube quickly and I want to move them into a custom enclosure form THA I got today a fortress for my pogonomyrmex occidentalis type 3 I will definitely move them into that next year, I ordered a inception chamber I plan to use for my crematigaster colony or my Formica colony can someone please tell me which is best for them. I have a type one mini hearth with medium top expansion I was thinking to use for my crematigaster or camponitus subbarbarus colony and and regular mini hearth which I plan to either out my Formica or camponitus subbarbarus colony in I know basically all of this sounds confusing but if you understand please point me in the right direction. 

We don’t talk about that

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 19 2020 - 1:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t put Crematogaster in anything type 1, or they’ll chew right on out.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 19 2020 - 2:25 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Ok thanks for the info I didn’t know they were that good of chewers do you think they would do good in a inception chamber instead?

We don’t talk about that

#4 Offline Devi - Posted September 19 2020 - 2:48 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Ok thanks for the info I didn’t know they were that good of chewers do you think they would do good in a inception chamber instead?

I think inception chambers are very good for all very small species, and for containment.  There is plastic (or some other hard material) on the bottom section, and then a plastic or glass section for the top/lid.  They are great for tiny species like molesta because they contain so well, I don't know why they wouldn't be fine for crematogaster.  As for formica, I would suggest a mini hearth, but it is personal preference. :)  It is also good to consider preference for outworld/nest ratio.  If you have an inception chamber, you have lot's of outworld space, and not as much nest, but for a mini hearth, it is more nest, and less outworld.

Edited by Devi, September 19 2020 - 2:50 PM.

#5 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 19 2020 - 3:53 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Thanks I’ve made my decision Formica in the mini hearth type 3 camponitus subbarbarus in mini hearth type 1 with top expansion which they will love and be able to grow more in and crematigaster in the inception chamber plus my Pogonomyrmex in the fortress thanks I’ll leave this up a little longer then close it.

We don’t talk about that

#6 Offline Devi - Posted September 19 2020 - 6:08 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Thanks I’ve made my decision Formica in the mini hearth type 3 camponitus subbarbarus in mini hearth type 1 with top expansion which they will love and be able to grow more in and crematigaster in the inception chamber plus my Pogonomyrmex in the fortress thanks I’ll leave this up a little longer then close it.

I think those are awesome choices.  I would have made the same.  :)

#7 Offline AntsOneida - Posted September 20 2020 - 6:29 AM

AntsOneida

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOneida County Wisconsin!

DO NOT by accident blow air into the water tower it pushes water out like CRAZY! Just a tip from experience though.

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 20 2020 - 7:03 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I mean the Crematogaster would eventually need a very large nest like a Nucleas at some point. They do not make small colonies and they grow really fast. Just look at Drew’s journal (not the forum owner Drew)
  • ANTdrew likes this

#9 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 20 2020 - 7:24 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Yes I plan on feeding the crematogaster very slowly so at least my Pogonomyrmex may be dead (sadly) by the time I need to use their fortress. 

Also does anyone own a yting mini hearth if anyone does could you tell me the best wya to use them. 

We don’t talk about that

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 20 2020 - 9:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I mean the Crematogaster would eventually need a very large nest like a Nucleas at some point. They do not make small colonies and they grow really fast. Just look at Drew’s journal (not the forum owner Drew)

Thank you, Kael. I was going to say exactly what you said. Starving a Crematogaster colony will only drive them to escape or implode (most likely).
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users