• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wild Argentines approve byFormica feeders and nectar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:50 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Just wanted to share this because it was a funny spot in the midst of a really difficult week.

Yesterday, on top of a lot of horrendous personal stuff going on, there was an Argentine ant invasion in the house. As I was cleaning them up, I discovered they had found my antkeeping table. Just what I needed, I thought, Argentines messing around with my ants.

Anyway I had left a small byFormica feeder with byFormica ant nectar on the table. I saw a couple Argies on it so I grabbed it and took it to the sink to wash it off.

Ant after ant after ant emerged from the feeder holes as I washed it off. Just when I thought I'd washed them all out, another would come out.

It was apparently a huge hit with the Argies. They really approve byFormica feeders and ant nectar.

So, yes, wild ants love the stuff. It was the one funny spot in all of it. (And luckily I think I caught the invasion before it got tooooo bad.)

Just had to put this out there.

• Froggy and TestSubjectOne like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#2 Offline Spazmops - Posted August 27 2020 - 8:54 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

That's a great story, I'm sorry to hear about the horrendous personal stuff though.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 27 2020 - 9:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I hope the week gets better.
  • Antkid12 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 27 2020 - 9:17 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It was apparently a huge hit with the Argies. They really approve byFormica feeders and ant nectar.

So, yes, wild ants love the stuff.

I have had feeders that contained Sunburst sit out for 6+ months--so long that the Sunburst turns into a syrup thicker than honey.  Then a foraging Argentine ant would find it and recruit the colony to completely empty the feeder.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users