• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brooklyn, New York - 7/30/20 (Queen IDs?)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsBrooklyn - Posted July 31 2020 - 10:55 PM

AntsBrooklyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Hey, guys. Thanks for the help!

1. Location of collection: Backyard, on granite.

2. Date of collection: 7/30/2020 (night)  & 7/31/20 (early afternoon)

3. Habitat of collection: Granite, concrete, cobblestone, and brick. Found walking on granite.

4. Weather: It had rained a few times this week including the 29th. It's humid, and it has been hot.

5. Appearance: They both have intact wings. They are dark colored, unlike the Lassius murphyi that I found last week.

6. They are both in test tubes with a couple of living drones which were captured flying where the queens were found.
I have not observed mating or hostility. They have interacted, though.

Included are pics of both queens, their setups, and the two species of ants that live where the queens were found.

Attached Images

• IMG_4891 2.jpg
  • IMG_4875.jpg
  • IMG_4885.jpg
  • IMG_4889.jpg
  • IMG_4878.JPG
  • IMG_4883.JPG
  • IMG_4802.jpg
  • IMG_4914.jpg

Edited by AntsBrooklyn, August 1 2020 - 10:59 AM.

• Antkid12 likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 1 2020 - 2:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What is their length? My guess is Nylanderia of some sort.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntsBrooklyn - Posted August 1 2020 - 10:21 AM

AntsBrooklyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew York City

What is their length? My guess is Nylanderia of some sort.

Attached Images

• IMG_4914.jpg

Edited by AntsBrooklyn, August 1 2020 - 10:59 AM.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 1 2020 - 11:09 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Looks like Lasius. can't get any further without looking under the microscope.

• AntsBrooklyn likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 1 2020 - 11:30 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Lasius sp.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline AntsBrooklyn - Posted August 1 2020 - 1:35 PM

AntsBrooklyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Looks like Lasius. can't get any further without looking under the microscope.

Lasius sp.

Do they look like either of the two species I found them near? If so, which ones?

Also, do you guys think I should leave the two living drones in each tube, or should I remove them, and assume they've mated. The queens both have intact wings.

#7 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted August 1 2020 - 1:41 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
None those are pavement ants first pic and second pic is either Argentine ants or taping a sessile I can’t really tell
We don’t talk about that

#8 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted August 1 2020 - 1:42 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Also it doesn’t really matter if you take them out or not some queens keep their wings even if they did mate and sometimes keep wings until maybe around 5 workers come.
We don’t talk about that

#9 Offline AntsBrooklyn - Posted August 1 2020 - 2:17 PM

AntsBrooklyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew York City

None those are pavement ants first pic and second pic is either Argentine ants or taping a sessile I can’t really tell
Also it doesn’t really matter if you take them out or not some queens keep their wings even if they did mate and sometimes keep wings until maybe around 5 workers come.

Thank, you. That's interesting. Of the 4 queens I've seen by my house, none have been the species of ant that live on/in my property.

I would assume that if they were going to mate, they should have already done so, right? I mainly want to remove them, because I'm not sure what species they are. One looks a little different than the others.

I wish I could find a pavement ant queen already (tetramorium immigrans?).

#10 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted August 1 2020 - 2:28 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Yes tetra immigrans their flight is kinda over but I might be able to look and maybe find a seller for those in your location.
We don’t talk about that

#11 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted August 1 2020 - 2:30 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Here’s a shop https://www.formicul...ipping/?hl=york
We don’t talk about that

#12 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 1 2020 - 6:49 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Appreciate the willingness to help, but its best to not give an identification if you don't know the ants being talked about that well. The first is indeed pavement ants, Tetramorium immigrans most likely. Second is actually T. sessile, so you got that right. All the rest are Lasius.

#13 Offline AntsBrooklyn - Posted August 3 2020 - 4:58 PM

AntsBrooklyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Drones have been removed. One queen sadly passed away overnight.

My entire house is otherwise in the mid-high 60's or low 70's. Do you guys think the cool temps killed her?

I moved the other queen to a slightly warmer location (~75F).

Thank you for searching that for me! I appreciate the helpfulness!  Luckily, I do have a friend that has a T. immigrans queen w/ a few workers, that I can pickup soon. I just thought it would be cool to have caught the queen. myself. Hopefully, the Lasius survives. Wish me luck!

• Antkid12 likes this

#14 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 4 2020 - 4:39 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I'm so jealous of the lasius queens...

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 4 2020 - 12:43 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
They hibernate in cooler temps than that so no, the cold did not kill her.

#16 Offline AntsBrooklyn - Posted August 17 2020 - 4:45 PM

AntsBrooklyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew York City

She laid eggs! Here's to hoping she's fertile, and that they aren't consumed before turning in to her first workers! There's some honey in there, which she was munching, too.

I'm so jealous of the lasius queens...

Haha! They seem pretty common in NYC. What do you find where you live? It's strange that I found Lasius though, because they were within a couple of feet from the outdoor tetramorium and sessile colonies, in my backyard.

They hibernate in cooler temps than that so no, the cold did not kill her.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure, because she looked fine the day before. The other survived, so maybe she was just inured

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users