• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

looking for L. Humile in CA

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 10:49 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
Is anyone selling Argentine Ants in CA (with shipping)? I wanna buy some because for this species doesn't have nuptial flights. Tyyy

My YouTube channel :)

#2 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 30 2020 - 10:52 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

They are invasive, kill native ants, and frankly annoying and boring. Not judging, but their are soooo many cooler ants in CA.

• Solenoqueen likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#3 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 30 2020 - 10:56 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

For example we have harvesters, honeypots, fungus growers, pheidole, acorn ants, and camponotus.

• Broncos likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#4 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:02 AM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

Argentines are hell on native biodiversity. 

#5 Offline JenC - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:02 AM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
Argentines are good for making your ants disappear if you're interested in that.
  • zantezaint likes this
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#6 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:04 AM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

But if you pay me 20 bucks I can go outside with a shovel

• TennesseeAnts, zantezaint and pimplebutt007 like this

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:04 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Is anyone selling Argentine Ants in CA (with shipping)? I wanna buy some because for this species doesn't have nuptial flights. Tyyy

If you want Linepithema look in urban settings.

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:13 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Linepithema are very easy to collect yourself. They nest almost anywhere, and simply flipping a stone can yield tons of queens.
  • TennesseeAnts and TestSubjectOne like this

#9 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:39 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Isn't selling invasives on the market against forum rules..

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:46 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I thought Argentine ants were the exception, at least as far as the law goes in California. Argentine ants are no longer quarantined (in California), and the government completely stopped doing anything to stop them from spreading within the state. Which is really sad tbh that they gave up. They kinda did the same for Solenopsis invicta too, though at least they are still a "quarantined" species.

Either way, who'd buy Argentine ants in California anyway lol. The most common ant in California. I personally wouldn't buy Argentine ants for one cent, you'd have to pay me to make me keep Argentine ants lol. Literally the easiest ant to get where you don't even have to go anywhere to get them.

Edited by Vendayn, July 30 2020 - 11:47 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and Somethinghmm like this

#11 Offline Broncos - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:49 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Don’t buy these kill them dude. You never want Argentine ants because they are the best escape artists in my opinion and have been known to get past any barrier placed. Go for some other species dude. Come on

Edited by Broncos, July 30 2020 - 11:49 AM.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#12 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:58 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Don’t buy these kill them dude. You never want Argentine ants because they are the best escape artists in my opinion and have been known to get past any barrier placed. Go for some other species dude. Come on

As someone who has killed hordes of Argentine ants, its a waste of time sadly. Its up to the government to manage them and even they gave up. Mostly have to hope one day Argentine ants get a disease that wipes them out (which happened in New Zealand).

Either way, I tried saving Pogonomyrmex californicus last year from Argentine ants, the last colony around here. And it was like blowing a huge wave at the beach hoping to destroy the wave. A waste of time lol. No matter how many Argentine ant colonies and ants I killed, it was like fighting an endless horde. Eventually, despite my help (which was a lot for one person), AND buying dozens of ant baits (the terro liquid ones), it mattered not and the last Pogonomyrmex colony died.

A better way than killing Argentine ants is introducing NATIVE ants that do good against them. Monomorium ergatogyna/minimum make HUGE colonies (though they hibernate sadly no matter the climate/weather), and win 99% of their fights against Argentine ants. Plus if the colony gets big enough, they can completely remove Argentine ants from entire areas. Forelius pruinosus/mccooki is pretty good if live in a drier area, same with Dorymyrmex bicolor. Not as good as Monomorium, but do pretty decent.

Anyway, not to change the subject of the thread. But pretty sure even if there is no quarantine or containment or anything at all in California about Argentine ants, don't think its within forum rules anyway. But still don't see why someone would buy them when you can't breathe without breathing on an Argentine ant in California lol.

Edited by Vendayn, July 30 2020 - 12:02 PM.

#13 Offline Broncos - Posted July 30 2020 - 12:13 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

As someone who has killed hordes of Argentine ants, its a waste of time sadly. Its up to the government to manage them and even they gave up. Mostly have to hope one day Argentine ants get a disease that wipes them out (which happened in New Zealand).

Either way, I tried saving Pogonomyrmex californicus last year from Argentine ants, the last colony around here. And it was like blowing a huge wave at the beach hoping to destroy the wave. A waste of time lol. No matter how many Argentine ant colonies and ants I killed, it was like fighting an endless horde. Eventually, despite my help (which was a lot for one person), AND buying dozens of ant baits (the terro liquid ones), it mattered not and the last Pogonomyrmex colony died.

A better way than killing Argentine ants is introducing NATIVE ants that do good against them. Monomorium ergatogyna/minimum make HUGE colonies (though they hibernate sadly no matter the climate/weather), and win 99% of their fights against Argentine ants. Plus if the colony gets big enough, they can completely remove Argentine ants from entire areas. Forelius pruinosus/mccooki is pretty good if live in a drier area, same with Dorymyrmex bicolor. Not as good as Monomorium, but do pretty decent.

Anyway, not to change the subject of the thread. But pretty sure even if there is no quarantine or containment or anything at all in California about Argentine ants, don't think its within forum rules anyway. But still don't see why someone would buy them when you can't breathe without breathing on an Argentine ant in California lol.
yea it’s pretty sad. I’m thinking about introducing pheidole because despite their size 1 can still kill an Argentine ant and the majors can take out many. And they grow quicker than Argentine ants

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 30 2020 - 12:17 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Dump boiling water down in all their nests in your property (unless you live in an apartment complex) and replace them with natives, like some that you mentioned.

yea it’s pretty sad. I’m thinking about introducing pheidole because despite their size 1 can still kill an Argentine ant and the majors can take out many. And they grow quicker than Argentine ants
Also, the Pheidole majors probably wouldn’t be able to take out that many, as they’d get swarmed from all directions.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 12:34 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Linepithema do have flights :lol:  And why does that matter to you? If I remember every single ant has nuptials.

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 30 2020 - 12:37 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Linepithema do have flights :lol:  And why does that matter to you? If I remember every single ant has nuptials.

Members of the Army Ant genera don’t.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#17 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 12:54 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would consider releasing males to be a nuptial flight.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#18 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 30 2020 - 12:58 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Nor do ants like Spider Ants.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#19 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 1:03 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nor do ants like Spider Ants.

Males. They fly. 

#20 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 30 2020 - 2:15 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Honestly idek why I want them. I’ve tried flipping rocks, to no avail. If anyone really could ship me a colony I would pay shipping and some for the colony (but not too much) 

They are invasive, kill native ants, and frankly annoying and boring. Not judging, but their are soooo many cooler ants in CA.

Yep, I know, but you can combine wild ants with the colony and I would like to keep a huge supercolony of them

My YouTube channel :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users