• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to connect test tube to mini-hearth

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted July 30 2020 - 8:08 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

So right now I have a test tube with my ants in it and I have my the mini-hearth I bought a few years ago. Thing is, when I bought my mini-hearth, I decided to choose the worst possible connection size(3/8''). I don't think there are any test tubes that small so I don't really know what I was thinking.

The test tube is standard(15ish mm) and I have two pieces of tubing, one that fits over the test tube and the other that is only a tiny bit bigger than the 3/8' connection and fits the test tubes inner diameter. Could I just hot glue the test tube to the mini-hearth? How do people normally do these things?

Right now they are in an outworld, but I want to move them so it's a more manageable setup.

My ants: One small(0 worker) Solenopsis xyloni colony- Queen Colony died  :*( 

Link: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/14139-dry-twigs-solenopsis-sp-journal/

Spoiler

#2 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 30 2020 - 8:16 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

So right now I have a test tube with my ants in it and I have my the mini-hearth I bought a few years ago. Thing is, when I bought my mini-hearth, I decided to choose the worst possible connection size(3/8''). I don't think there are any test tubes that small so I don't really know what I was thinking.
The test tube is standard(15ish mm) and I have two pieces of tubing, one that fits over the test tube and the other that is only a tiny bit bigger than the 3/8' connection and fits the test tubes inner diameter. Could I just hot glue the test tube to the mini-hearth? How do people normally do these things?
Right now they are in an outworld, but I want to move them so it's a more manageable setup.

Wow, you are in the exact scenario I was in with my Camponotus vicinus, I used the moving method from TarHeel Ants AntDesk series (video: ). He mentions in there small ants should have around 30 workers(?) before using this dump method in order to not stress them out. I advise you watch the video before trying any other moving method.
  • Dry_Twig likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#3 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted July 30 2020 - 8:31 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I'm not really in much of a hurry to move them, but they are kinda running out of water. He says for small ants/ colonies it's better to let them move on their own and since they are in an outworld already, I would rather just leave them there.  Also I doubt I could move all those teeny tiny eggs without crushing any.

Edited by Dry_Twig, July 30 2020 - 8:36 AM.

Spoiler

#4 Offline Roy3 - Posted July 30 2020 - 9:41 AM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
You can always get different size tubing and keep connecting them to match the size of the TH setup. That's what I do to match whatever I am doing. I also used scotch tape to stop a gap between a loose tubing connection. You can also use a lot of tape to build up the smaller tubing end to get a snug fit into the test tube or other bigger tubing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  • Dry_Twig likes this

#5 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted July 30 2020 - 9:56 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I may do this but I would have to buy some extra tubing, which is fine. Is hot glue toxic to ants? Could I just glue the tub on?

Spoiler

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 30 2020 - 10:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You can stick the whole tube on to the mini-hearth using clay, mounting putty (best route), or tape. No need for tubing. Hot glue is fine, too. Remove the tube as soon as they move in.

Edited by ANTdrew, July 30 2020 - 10:18 AM.

• Dry_Twig likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted July 30 2020 - 10:30 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Thanks to everyone for their help! I think that I'll just glue the tube on.

• ANTdrew likes this

Spoiler

#8 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted July 31 2020 - 7:55 PM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

You could always use vinyl tubing to connect the mini hearth to the test tube and tape the test tube securely to the back. I am actually waiting for some mini hearths and this was my plan.

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#9 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 1 2020 - 5:14 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

You can dump them.

• AntsDakota and TechAnt like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users