• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogaster ID, Jasper Indiana 7/4/2020

crematogaster

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 4 2020 - 7:34 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
1. Location (on a map) of collection: Jasper, Indiana, U.S.
2. Date of collection: 7/3/2020
3. Habitat of collection: Near a forest / open sandy field
4. Length (from head to gaster): 7 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Shiny Black on all surfaces EXCEPT on the Petiole and on her side (which is a dark red)
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Petiole is red
7. Distinguishing behavior: None
8. Nest description: None
9. Nuptial flight time and date: Found late last night at around 11:25 P.M. (Temp. was 75 D. Fahrenheit, Humidity was 75%)

Yes, I realize that Crematogaster lineolata and Crematogaster cerasi are indistinguishable at this level, but I’ve never seen one with a red petiole, so I’m wondering if it’s a different species altogether? Here’s some pictures:

Spoiler

#2 Offline Broncos - Posted July 4 2020 - 7:41 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Deleted

Edited by Broncos, July 4 2020 - 8:01 AM.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 4 2020 - 7:56 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Really now  :lol:

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 4 2020 - 8:02 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

There is nothing unusual about her coloring. Even species that are jet black have varying degrees of red on their body under certain lighting, usually on the head or petiole nodes. It could be Crematogaster ashmeadi, as this is slightly early for cerasi or lineolata to be flying (can someone back me up on this). C. ashmeadi definitely have red on them.

• CatsnAnts likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#5 Offline Broncos - Posted July 4 2020 - 8:03 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

Really now :lol:

Ugh . I had just woken up when I typed that. Gosh dang I need to read titles

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#6 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 4 2020 - 8:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Grab on tight; it will be one heck of a ride with these. If your formicaria hold them, they can contain anything.
  • CatsnAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 4 2020 - 8:11 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Crematogaster cerasi and lineolata fly during the day, although it wouldn't be impossible to still find a queen wandering at night. I've been seeing their alates about every other day for a few weeks now. Crematogaster ashmeadi is not recorded from your state but that could be due to less ant sampling, and during the summer I get ashmeadi queens at my blacklight at night. Wait until your queen gets workers and then take a closeup of the workers' propodeal spines; if they're long and straight it is C. cerasi/lineolata, but if they're short and stubby then it is ashmeadi. Interestingly your queen's spines look at lot like ashmeadi spines but I think you can only be sure with the workers.

• FeedTheAnts, CheetoLord02 and CatsnAnts like this

#8 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 4 2020 - 8:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You really need to ID it now. You could get a new state record.
  • CatsnAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 4 2020 - 9:47 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Crematogaster cerasi and lineolata fly during the day, although it wouldn't be impossible to still find a queen wandering at night. I've been seeing their alates about every other day for a few weeks now. Crematogaster ashmeadi is not recorded from your state but that could be due to less ant sampling, and during the summer I get ashmeadi queens at my blacklight at night. Wait until your queen gets workers and then take a closeup of the workers' propodeal spines; if they're long and straight it is C. cerasi/lineolata, but if they're short and stubby then it is ashmeadi. Interestingly your queen's spines look at lot like ashmeadi spines but I think you can only be sure with the workers.

Good to know! I would also like to point out that I found a single Crematogaster sp. male last night when I found this queen. It was dead near where she was, so there’s a good chance that she had her nuptial flight last night. That would be pretty cool if we had C. ashmeadi around here, we need more diversity in Indiana.

Spoiler

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 1:44 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I want Crematogaster so bad............  :mad:

• CatsnAnts and ANTdrew like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#11 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 7 2020 - 4:38 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Would it be possible that this is Crematogaster pilosa? It appears that this species is also found in our state.

Spoiler

#12 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 7 2020 - 6:16 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationOhio

There is nothing unusual about her coloring. Even species that are jet black have varying degrees of red on their body under certain lighting, usually on the head or petiole nodes. It could be Crematogaster ashmeadi, as this is slightly early for cerasi or lineolata to be flying (can someone back me up on this). C. ashmeadi definitely have red on them.

I have caught Crematogaster cerasi queens on July 5th, and other Ohioans have caught crematogaster queens up to a week earlier, although their collections haven't been confirmed as cerasi or another species yet. Considering CatsnAnts is in Southern Indiana, we can't rule out Crematogaster pilosa eiher. I would wait till she has nanitics and get one of them under a microscope for pictures when they begin to have deaths.

Edited by madbiologist, July 7 2020 - 6:19 AM.

• CatsnAnts likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users