• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Major?

Best Answer Aaron567 , June 6 2020 - 8:52 AM

That is Solenopsis xyloni. They come in this black form in parts of Arizona, apparently.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Froggy - Posted June 6 2020 - 8:43 AM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

I'v been seeing large colony's of small black ants with some Majors and possibly Supermajors, the majors have the same coloration as the workers, but the workers have larger slightly larger heads and are longer than the workers, the (maybe) Supermajors are larger in every way to the majors and workers and have red heads that fade to black at the base

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Cave Creek, AZ
2. Date of collection: N/A
3. Habitat of collection: Desert Scrub
4. Length (from head to gaster): Workers: 3mm Majors 3-4mm Supermajors?: 4-5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Workers & Majors: Black Supermajors?: Red head that fades to black towards base
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Majors have large heads compared to workers
7. Distinguishing behavior: Long straight foraging trails that sometimes leave indentation on the ground
8. Nest description: basically just a hole with some small sticks and dirt around it

9. Nuptial flight time and date:N/A

Supermajor with worker:

gjeYxUa.jpgAuq6NYg.jpg

#2 Offline Froggy - Posted June 6 2020 - 8:44 AM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

I can take more images or get more information if needed, but they only come out at night 

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 6 2020 - 8:52 AM   Best Answer

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

That is Solenopsis xyloni. They come in this black form in parts of Arizona, apparently.

• TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe and Froggy like this

#4 Offline Froggy - Posted June 6 2020 - 9:57 AM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Oh ok, I didn't know Solenopsis had Major castes 

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 6 2020 - 10:14 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Oh, they definitely do. I also can tell it’s not Pheidole since the major’s petiole has two distinct large nodes, which Pheidole do not have.
  • Froggy likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline Robert - Posted June 6 2020 - 10:24 AM

Robert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Oh, they definitely do. I also can tell it’s not Pheidole since the major’s petiole has two distinct large nodes, which Pheidole do not have.

The existence of a well defined two-segmented antennal club also separates Solenopsis workers from Pheidole. 

• Froggy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users