• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius emarginatus in NA (NYC) - flight sightings?

lasius north america naturalized invasive nuptial flights

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kdel - Posted June 4 2020 - 4:16 PM

kdel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi all, Lasius emarginatus is widespread throughout Europe, but received a lot of media attention starting ~5 years ago for its appearance on Manhattan island in NYC. Much of the media coverage of course misrepresented the scientific information, and purported it to be a new, unique species to Manhattan and gave it several cute nicknames like the "Manhattant". It is not a unique species but the real hype was that it was a newly discovered in NA within NYC, and within a few years of its first reports it became one of the most common species in the city.

As a working gardener in NYC, I encounter this species daily. I love them. They are full of energy, are speedy, and have a distinct look of a red midsection with black gaster and head. I've even noticed they have crossed the rivers and are quite common in other boroughs of NYC. But unfortunately most of the online resources I have found have very little information on this species. I would really really love to start a colony of theirs. As far as I know I haven't seen any queens/alates, even though I encounter workers as often as Tetramorium sp. in the concrete jungle. 

Does any one in NYC, other parts of NA, or in their native Europe have any personal experience with this species? They have so much energy and from what I've observed of the colonies that I've unfortunately had to massively disturb, they are fast growing. As a newly naturalized species, I'll report any flights that I do find from them. Perhaps their mating reflects similar to other Lasius sp? I am a new anter, so would love any insight on that. Thanks!

• Nare, Somethinghmm and Antkid12 like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 4 2020 - 4:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s really interesting; I had no idea about this. I think your best bet would be to mark and observe some nests near you later in the summer to see when alates start appearing. I think most Lasius fly later in summer or very early in the fall.
  • kdel and Antkid12 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 4 2020 - 5:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
https://www.bwars.co...ius-emarginatus

This article says their flights happen in late July-August in England.
  • kdel likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline kdel - Posted June 5 2020 - 2:58 PM

kdel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

https://www.bwars.co...ius-emarginatus

This article says their flights happen in late July-August in England.

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of this site yet. Thanks for showing me a new source!

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 3:08 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
It seems to be focused more on bees and wasps, however. That’s probably why Some of us haven’t heard of it before.
  • kdel likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline kdel - Posted June 5 2020 - 3:34 PM

kdel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

That’s really interesting; I had no idea about this. I think your best bet would be to mark and observe some nests near you later in the summer to see when alates start appearing. I think most Lasius fly later in summer or very early in the fall.

Thanks for your interest. I did collect this girl today in a yard populated mostly by L. emarginatus. I am new to IDing ants, but I thought she had some similarities to some Lasius sp. queens' images that I've found.  Found her wandering around noon. She's only about 10-25% longer than the average emarginatus worker I've observed. I see it would be early for most Lasius sp. to fly, and early for emarginatus to fly in England, but they are a bit farther north than NY. Wish I had some measurements, or could figure how to upload a mov. file to this site's gallery. But was wondering if you or anyone else had thoughts on an ID for her? 
IMG 3465

• AntsDakota likes this

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 3:42 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Looks like Nylanderia sp.
  • kdel likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline kdel - Posted June 5 2020 - 4:00 PM

kdel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Looks like Nylanderia sp.

Thanks, based on scale and the info I have found for Nylanderia sp., this might make sense. She is on the smaller side. 

• AntsDakota likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius, north america, naturalized, invasive, nuptial flights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users