• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Invertebrate Club of Southern California...

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 3 2020 - 1:54 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

Hello all, figured I should make an introductory post for this group on here like I have with other invertebrate forums. Unsure if this is allowed, but I don't think it fit into any other sub-forums, and I didn't see any rules against it.

Anyway, the Invertebrate Club of Southern California is, you guessed it, a club devoted to invertebrates (of all kinds) in Southern California, primarily centered in the Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, and San Diego counties, but with members in the Central Valley and elsewhere as well. We currently don't have many ant enthusiasts (two that I know of off the top of my head, one of whom I know is on here) in the club, but hopefully some more SoCal ant-enthusiasts will join us here soon.

I look forward to discussing all aspects of this amazing hobby further with all y'all! I am also happy to discuss what it looks like running a club/society like this with anybody interested; the more organizations related to keeping invertebrates the better!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and TestSubjectOne like this

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#2 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 6 2020 - 1:55 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
The June meeting for the Invertebrate Club of Southern California will be through Skype, on the 20th (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM. Meeting link pending.

No guest speaker this time. Looking forward to discussing invertebrates with all y'all!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 6 2020 - 2:00 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Interesting.

• Arthroverts likes this

#4 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 11 2020 - 10:18 AM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Yes it is :D.

Gotta get a club going up in NorCal ponerinecat! I know there's a lot of enthusiasts up your way. "Invertebrate Club of Northern California: ICNC"

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 11 2020 - 10:33 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That would definitely be nice.

• FSTP likes this

#6 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 11 2020 - 6:27 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

I'll be waiting for the announcement ;D...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

#7 Offline Arthroverts - Posted August 10 2020 - 10:18 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Hey all, we are currently redoing our club schedule, but we hope to have it ready here soon. I'll upload it here once it is completed.

EDIT: Oh, how could I forget! *slaps forehead*. Solenoqueen is now the leader of the San Diego Chapter of the club!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Edited by Arthroverts, August 11 2020 - 9:40 AM.

• Solenoqueen likes this

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted August 10 2020 - 11:37 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

yes it would

• Arthroverts likes this

#9 Offline Arthroverts - Posted September 9 2020 - 10:41 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Sorry for the break in posting meetings, been busy.

The September meeting will be the 19th, from 10:00-11:30 AM, on Skype. Meeting link available to those interested in attending.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

#10 Offline Arthroverts - Posted September 17 2020 - 9:41 AM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Forgot to mention, the San Diego Chapter of the club is also up and running (led by @SolenoQueen), the September meeting for the chapter will be on the 20th (Sunday), from 4:30-6:00 PM, on Skype. Meeting link coming soon.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

#11 Offline Arthroverts - Posted October 7 2020 - 10:27 AM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Hello all, the October meeting will be on the 17th (Saturday), from 10:00-11:30 AM, on Skype.

The San Diego October meeting will be on the 18th (Sunday), from 4:30-6:00 PM, on Skype.

I'd like to talk to everyone about a few things as we head into November, such as new club T-shirts, club events, meeting in person again, recruiting new members and member involvement, etc.
Looking forward to seeing all who can make it!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 7 2020 - 2:16 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Glad to see you guys are doing well! It must be good to finally get together in person.  :)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline Arthroverts - Posted October 7 2020 - 7:33 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

We aren't meeting in person again yet unfortunately, that's something we're going to talk about at this meeting.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

#14 Offline Arthroverts - Posted November 20 2020 - 1:27 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Hello all, the meeting is this Saturday (21st), and we're pushing back the start to 11:00 and going to 12:30. We will be meeting on Skype. Since we take a break from meeting in December this is the last club meeting of 2020 (and yes, we are combining the San Diego chapter meeting with the main meeting).

We will be having our Thanksgiving-for-Christmas-in-November event at this meeting, and as such only club members are allowed to attend.

Looking forward to seeing all who can make it!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#15 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted November 20 2020 - 2:01 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

interested for sure

#16 Offline Arthroverts - Posted November 20 2020 - 9:16 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

StrickyAnts, PM me. Just need your email address, phone number, and for you to have a band.us account.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Edited by Arthroverts, November 20 2020 - 9:17 PM.

#17 Online M_Ants - Posted November 20 2020 - 9:21 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

What exactly do you do on the Skype calls? 

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#18 Offline Arthroverts - Posted November 20 2020 - 10:48 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Excellent question! Usually we discuss invertebrates of all sorts, depending on who comes. Occasionally we have guest speakers/raffles, and announcements and ideas are also kicked around. Basically as close as we can get to a physical meeting (which will hopefully resume sometime in 2021) virtually, ha ha.

Tomorrow we are having a special event to close out 2020 as a club, but after the first bit of the meeting I imagine we will be back to discussing invertebrates as per usual.

Aside from meetings we also do collecting trips, attend reptile shows together, etc., and hopefully we will start doing clean-ups in trashed habitats as well.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this

#19 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 21 2020 - 7:00 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Excellent question! Usually we discuss invertebrates of all sorts, depending on who comes. Occasionally we have guest speakers/raffles, and announcements and ideas are also kicked around. Basically as close as we can get to a physical meeting (which will hopefully resume sometime in 2021) virtually, ha ha.

Tomorrow we are having a special event to close out 2020 as a club, but after the first bit of the meeting I imagine we will be back to discussing invertebrates as per usual.

Aside from meetings we also do collecting trips, attend reptile shows together, etc., and hopefully we will start doing clean-ups in trashed habitats as well.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

sounds awesome! if i was there, i would join!

• Arthroverts likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#20 Offline Arthroverts - Posted November 21 2020 - 2:50 PM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Thanks,

Arthroverts

sounds awesome! if i was there, i would join!

And I can say the same to you about the SoDAK!

Anyways, it was an awesome meeting today, we had some great conversations and shattered all attendance records for either virtual or physical meetings :D.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users