• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help For Those Unsure of Species Distribution

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 1 2020 - 1:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

So, I have a suggestion. Before you make an ID, type the species into here to see if it is actually present in the state that is listed in the post.  Of course, in very rare cases, it will not be accurate, but, it is very useful. That is all! 

https://antmaps.org/...species

I hope that everyone finds this useful!

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 1 2020 - 1:37 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I use antmaps all the time, actually. It's very helpful, and I encourage other to use it!

• jushi and Froggy like this

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 1 2020 - 1:53 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

So do I. Even AntWiki, which is ran by myrmecologists, uses it.

• jushi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 1 2020 - 2:38 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Great resource for seeing if specific species live close by. I use it all the time along with AntWeb's local species list which I found was better than just telling me they are in California. Here is the Bay Area one https://www.antweb.o...nts&images=true if you click on the species you want, and click map at the top, it will basically just show you the AntMaps for that species (since I think most of the entries in AntMaps is from AntWeb anyway). One thing I do wish was that you could zoom in more and see exactly where the species were found. 

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 1 2020 - 5:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

You just click on the point and it gives you the exact coordinates. ;)

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 1 2020 - 8:01 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Yep, I know, I just wish you could see it without copy pasting it into google maps (wouldn't be that hard to do right?). Also, I wish you could just see all the entries and hover over the dots to see the species. I don't know how practical that is but would help me plan better when going to places instead of searching up a ton of different species (30 tabs open for just antsmaps). It tells you everything in California, but CA is a big state and not always easily accessible. IDK just some thoughts, rambling, and ranting.

Edit: Also, Jasper Ridge is really close and has basically almost all the bay area species listed as found there, but there's no way I'm getting in since I'm not a researcher and its Stanford private property. 

Edited by rcbuggy88, June 1 2020 - 8:07 PM.

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#7 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 2 2020 - 6:24 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Please, please keep in mind people that antmaps.org is only going to show you reported species in an area or state, and many of the records they rely on don't always have a location. I would like to say that our knowledge of ant species' distribution is quite accurate, but to be honest, I don't think it is. For example, West Virginia has a total native species count of 55 species on antmaps.org. For reference, Illinois has 146. Do you really think that Illinois has 3x as many species as West Virginia? Of course not. It's a useful tool, but its limitations should be kept in mind.

• AntsDakota likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 2 2020 - 6:30 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I did state that it has some inaccuracies. It seems to be especially so in West Virginia. It makes sense though, it is very mountainous, and so harder to make records.

#9 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 2 2020 - 6:32 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I did state that it has some inaccuracies. It seems to be especially so in West Virginia. It makes sense though, it is very mountainous, and so harder to make records.

It honestly seems more related to the level of wealth in each state put towards ant research. It's not entirely a coincidence that some of the wealthiest states in the US are also some of the most diverse. Once you look outside of the United States, it becomes even more apparent.

• AntsDakota likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

0 user(s) are reading this topic