• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmica ID request (South Dakota)

Best Answer gcsnelling , May 12 2020 - 3:12 PM

If it is Myrmica at all good luck with an accurate Id esp based on a photograph. Myrmica sp. is as far as you can realistically go.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 11:05 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Location of collection: South Dakota

Date of Capture: April 26th, 2020

Location of collection: South Dakota

Date of collection: April 26th, 2020 (irrelevant, as this was a colony, not a dealate queen)

Habitat of collection: Lightly forested area, primarily deciduous trees, collected under a rock, many open fields nearby, within blocks from a suburban environment

Length: (workers) 4-6 mm

Coloration: Dark red to black, young workers have bright red mesosomas 

Distinguishing characteristics:

Anything else distinctive:

Nest description: Shallow, under a stone (typical of Myrmica)

Nuptial flight time and date: 

This is the only clear(ish) shot I could get:

MM7mnCT.jpg

My guess would be M. americana, but I thought I'd check with you guys.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 12 2020 - 11:34 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I wonder if what I think is Aphaenogaster in my yard could actually be Myrmica... this looks somewhat like it.

• jushi likes this

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 12 2020 - 11:37 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Looks like myrmica incompleta to me. The workers of Americana are much darker. The size also fits with incompleta as their workers are quite large for myrmica.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 11:56 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Workers also vary in size, as LC3 pointed out in his journal:

This species is also clearly polymorphic compared to other Myrmica species I've come across.  Workers collected during a trip on March 28 from 2 locations around less then a kilometer apart and foraging on the trail ranged <.3.5mm at their smallest (spread out) and ~6mm at their largest (spread out). I think this is the largest worker I've ever found of the species, en average the workers are anywhere from 3.5mm to 5.5mm with most being around 4.5-5mm. Workers varied in hue from black to dark red for the head and gaster, coupled with the dark red to red or orange mesosoma meant that workers were either bicoloured with a dark head and gaster + red to orange mesosoma or a concoloures reddish colour. 

My workers also vary in size. The coloration also matches.

This also matches mine:

Compared to the M. specioides these queens are much less skittish and also lay eggs readily, they also don't mind the light all too much.

I never cover mine up, and the queens constantly pump out eggs.

• Manitobant likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 12 2020 - 3:12 PM   Best Answer

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

If it is Myrmica at all good luck with an accurate Id esp based on a photograph. Myrmica sp. is as far as you can realistically go.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, PurdueEntomology and 3 others like this

#6 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 12 2020 - 3:46 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I agree, I had to use a key and a scope to key out my colony of Myrmica punctiventris.  I suppose these young people have telescopic eyes.... :facepalm:

• gcsnelling, TennesseeAnts, TheRealAntMan and 1 other like this

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 12 2020 - 4:10 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

I agree, I had to use a key and a scope to key out my colony of Myrmica punctiventris.  I suppose these young people have telescopic eyes.... :facepalm:

I have often had that suspicion myself.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 4:36 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I figured that. That's why I haven't posted an ID request until now. I've heard certain species can't be identified without a genetic analysis. However, I didn't see any harm in getting a second opinion.

#9 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted May 12 2020 - 5:09 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Yeah, luckily I had some dead workers on hand so I could identify mine. M. punctiventris (which is what mine are as well) is a pretty distinctive species for a Myrmica too; if mine had been, say, M. fracticornis, I don't know if I would have done so well even with the microscope.

• AntsDakota likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#10 Offline jushi - Posted May 15 2020 - 10:47 AM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

I wonder if what I think is Aphaenogaster in my yard could actually be Myrmica... this looks somewhat like it.

...sting test maybe? 

• Ants_Dakota likes this
KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users