• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How Japanese honeybees kill the invading giant hornet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:25 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

So I tried looking up "murder hornet" in Japanese, and all I could find were references to killer bees (the Africanized honeybee).

After some more digging I believe the much-ballyhooed murder hornet is actually called the Giant Sparrow Hornet/Wasp in Japanese ( https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/オオスズメバチ   for anyone interested). Normal hornets are called sparrow hornets/wasps anyway (Japanese doesn't really distinguish in the base word "hachi" among bees, wasps, and hornets). People are making jokes about the giant hornet in America now, but in Japan they are apparently the number one cause of wildlife-triggered death. It's only funny as long as your family isn't the one that draws the short straw.

But I did find this article about how Asian honeybees (Apis cerana according to the above wiki article) have developed a defense against the hornet, something the European A. mellifera cannot do: cooking the scouts. This is really, really cool. Check out the Nat Geo video embedded in this article for how they signal each other, etc. 

EDIT: Speaking of which, apparently the giant hornet starts up a warning rattling sound in their nest when an intruder comes too close. If you hear what looks like a hornet nest rattling, stay far away.

https://www.foxnews....r-hornet-report

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, May 4 2020 - 4:33 PM.

• BugFinder, TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#2 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted May 4 2020 - 7:33 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

I swear, if I see one of these hornets anywhere near where I live...

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 5 2020 - 8:02 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ill keep it as a specimen. Would be a cool find.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 5 2020 - 8:14 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I would blowtorch(we have a giant one) it, and their nest if possible.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 5 2020 - 8:42 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I probably wouldn't go anywhere near the nest, and call pest control.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 5 2020 - 8:47 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

And that's how to get killed. Too many stings can literally cause heart failure. No need to disturb them at all.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 5 2020 - 9:05 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Notice I said if possible. If it was a large nest, I would never do that. Only if it was a queen and like 2 workers.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 5 2020 - 9:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

And that's how to get killed. Too many stings can literally cause heart failure. No need to disturb them at all.

I probably wouldn't go anywhere near the nest, and call pest control.

And this is how to not get killed.........

Edited by AntsDakota, May 5 2020 - 9:22 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline zantezaint - Posted May 10 2020 - 4:34 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Amazing video. Getting barbecued alive is one way to go...

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#10 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 11 2020 - 9:15 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I really liked how the bees coordinated with each other. Like "Ready ... on your marks ... get set ...."

Oh and then one of them is like, "I can't wait any more. Charrrgge!"

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, May 11 2020 - 9:20 PM.

• zantezaint likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users