• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My colony keeps putting trash on the heated area

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline aznphenom - Posted April 29 2020 - 6:48 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I know most people heat their colony to help with development. So I tried the same. For months, they would keep their trash in their chamber and never moved their broods closer to it. One day, I decided to remove the heat because I spilled some water and there was condensation. The next day, they have cleaned out their nest. It was perfectly clean. So I made the conclusion it had something to do with the heat. Well, the development has been slow so I decided to get a temp regulator for the heat cable. I set it at 85 but realized where the temp reader was, it was maxing out at 82 so I lowered it to 79F because I don't want the cable on the whole time. I have noticed that they have moved the trash over the heat again. Its only been a few hours since lowering it to 79 so I don't know that is low enough for them to remove the trash. This sp are tropical and supposedly like high humidity and 75-85F. Any thoughts on this?

edit: Its a 15W heat cable

Edited by aznphenom, April 29 2020 - 6:49 PM.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#2 Offline Canadant - Posted April 30 2020 - 3:27 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
I have no idea why they would do this other than to regulate the temp someway or somehow.

Crazy to think they know what they're doing.

Thanks. Pics would be cool.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users