• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BugFinders Tetramorium (sp)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 20 2020 - 6:53 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I was at a customers office in South San Jose on 4/17/20 investigating a report of flying insects when I found and collected this queen.  She was collected with two males that I thought were queens at the time.  On 4/18 I treated the rest of the ants in the office building.

I kept the three of them in a plastic bottle until 4/20 when I was able to get some tubes together.  i put her in a tube and discared the two males.  When I collected her, she had both wings, but sometime between then and putting her in the tube she had lost one of her wings.  One wing is still intact.  I don't know if she has mated yet, but she seems to be healthy.  I added some grains of brown sugar to her tube for feed, and placed her in a dark, cabinet.  Photos coming soon!

Edited by BugFinder, April 21 2020 - 6:38 PM.

• Nathant2131, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 2 others like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 20 2020 - 7:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

He's back. :)

• BugFinder and Temperateants like this

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 21 2020 - 6:39 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I checked on her today.  she ate about half of the sugar I put in her tube yesteray.  she looks healthy(ish).  I'm hoping she lives and lays eggs.  

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 25 2020 - 8:02 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I haven't checked on her for a few days because I read they are fully calaustral and I didn't want to bother her.  I checked on her this morning and found a nice little egg pile.  Probably a dozen of eggs or more.  I'm so excited to be ant keeping again!  

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, ADHTCIAD and 1 other like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 25 2020 - 8:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I haven't checked on her for a few days because I read they are fully calaustral and I didn't want to bother her.  I checked on her this morning and found a nice little egg pile.  Probably a dozen of eggs or more.  I'm so excited to be ant keeping again!

Those eggs should hatch in a week or two.
  • BugFinder likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2020 - 8:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent. I’ll be following.
  • BugFinder likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 25 2020 - 9:28 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Tetras are always fun, too bad I don't have them here. Actually i suppose that may be a good thing.

• BugFinder likes this

#8 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 25 2020 - 9:28 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Tetramorium is such a boss genus, they are amazing. Like RIFA but nicer. And they don't eat small vertebrates. 

• BugFinder likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#9 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2020 - 9:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They would if you gave them one to eat. My mega colony could definitely take down a mouse if I put it in their tank. Not even joking.
  • TennesseeAnts, ADHTCIAD and Antkid12 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#10 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 25 2020 - 10:13 AM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

They would if you gave them one to eat. My mega colony could definitely take down a mouse if I put it in their tank. Not even joking.

Lol I so hope my colony ends up that size.

• BugFinder likes this

What do you get if you cross some ants with some ticks...?

All sorts of antics!! ... :lol:

Okay, I'll leave. That's the ant-ire joke anyways.

#11 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 8 2020 - 8:31 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I checked the ants today.  Not much change - It looks like she has a huge egg pile, she seems to have tunneled a bit into the cotton ball and pushed the eggs into it.  I put her tube in a box with a little sand, and offered her a little honey.  She has no workers so i know she won't come out and get any of it, but I wanted to have it there so that if I don't notice workers right away they have immediate access to food when they want it, whenever that day comes, lol.  I typically check on them only once every 7-10 days because i want to disturb them as little as possible, the rest of the time they are in the dark in the cabinet where I keep my Tshirts.

IMG-0312.jpg

IMG-0311.jpg

IMG-0344.jpg

• AntsDakota likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 9 2020 - 7:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Most of those eggs will probably be used for food. You should have around ten nanitics.

• BugFinder likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 9 2020 - 7:00 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Is it normal for her to eat most of her eggs, or should i be feeding her?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#14 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 9 2020 - 7:59 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

if I shove a dead cricket into the tube, do you think she will eat it, or should I leave her alone?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 10 2020 - 5:14 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

if I shove a dead cricket into the tube, do you think she will eat it, or should I leave her alone?

She might eat a cricket leg, but a whole cricket is too much for one queen. It would probably cause mold problems.
  • BugFinder likes this

#16 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2020 - 5:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I wouldn’t bother her in any way. Tetras are super easy, but they really hate disturbance in their nest area.
  • BugFinder likes this

#17 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 18 2020 - 7:16 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It looks like she has hauled her eggs out of the tube and is hanging out with them in a corner of the outworld.  she has also put some of the dirt from her outworld inside the tube.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#18 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2020 - 7:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s not a good sign. A fully claustral queen shouldn’t have an outworld yet until she has workers.

#19 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 19 2020 - 7:57 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Good luck! A week ago a saw a nuptial flight of Tetramorium but for some reason none of the alates could fly, and they were spinning in circles on the ground.  :thinking:

Edited by Antkid12, May 19 2020 - 7:58 AM.

• BugFinder likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 19 2020 - 8:04 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Good luck! A week ago a saw a nuptial flight of Tetramorium but for some reason none of the alates could fly, and they were spinning in circles on the ground.  :thinking:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Tetramorium will oftentimes mate on the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users