• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Canada

hello canada tetramorium beginner newbie starting out introduction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 20 2020 - 1:50 AM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hello everyone,

My name is Aaron and I've been wanting to get into ant keeping for quite some time now. (The last five yrs or so) I have been following Ants Canada/Australia/etc and random forums for about 7 or 8 years. Always been an enthusiast, so I finally did it this weekend and bought myself some ants and a formicarium. Now I know that some people are against shipping ants, and that its almost nuptial flight for the species I will be housing. (Tetramorium) AND I realize that they grow in size as a colony fairly quickly as well, but seeing as how I bought a hybrid nest from Ants Canada already, and canada-ant-colony had such amazing reviews, I decided to just purchase a starting colony so I can move them into the formicarium right away. Or once they settle for a day or so. If i did catch any myself during nuptial, I could use them to brood boost for awhile and then move her to a test tube for hibernation before they start killing each other lol.

Being as this is my first colony - and I can now share in the journey with all you other enthusiasts - I decided to join the forums myself. So I can hopefully learn what I don't know yet and share my knowledge/experiences with who I can. I will definitely start a journal and post pics of my setup, with some explanation so I can hear what you all think. I'm fairly confident with what I have but there might be something I'm not covering and love to hear it!

Thanks for having me and look forward to being here.

Aaron

• Boog likes this

What do you get if you cross some ants with some ticks...?

All sorts of antics!! ... :lol:

Okay, I'll leave. That's the ant-ire joke anyways.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 20 2020 - 2:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome, Aaron! You picked a good species to start with. Tetras are a lot of fun to keep. Look forward to following your journal.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 20 2020 - 10:58 AM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Welcome, Aaron! You picked a good species to start with. Tetras are a lot of fun to keep. Look forward to following your journal.

Thanks! Yeah, from what I've read/watched they seem like a good start. Should be a fun journey. If I don't make too many mistakes lol.

What do you get if you cross some ants with some ticks...?

All sorts of antics!! ... :lol:

Okay, I'll leave. That's the ant-ire joke anyways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hello, canada, tetramorium, beginner, newbie, starting out, introduction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users