• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello. Raphael from Australia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mitija - Posted April 18 2020 - 8:37 PM

mitija

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, I am Raphael and I live in Melbourne, Australia.

I recently stumbled upon a mating flight and I was able to capture a queen just after it mated. I actually witnessed that happening which makes me confident the Queen has been inseminated. I suspect it is a pheidole as this type of ant is common in Melbourne and known to have their reproductive flights in autumn.

I didn't have any equipment so I built a nest in plaster... see attached pic. The nest is now full of mold; I have ordered online some test tubes and once they arrive I hope I will be able to transfer the ant safely...

Cheers

Attached Images

• 20200418_091512.jpg

• ANTdrew, Boog and AntsDakota like this

#2 Offline Boog - Posted April 20 2020 - 5:23 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Did you let the plaster fully dry before you put the covers on? Or did it mold after you hydrated it?

Good luck on getting the colony started and here's hoping your journal is long-lived!

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 20 2020 - 8:06 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Pheidole queen, good luck.

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 20 2020 - 10:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Love Pheidole.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users