• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation Temperature

hibernation temperature hibernating question advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 19 2020 - 2:53 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So my mom has gotten sick of the ants in the refrigerator and has elected to let me get a mini fridge for hibernation purposes. Of the couple I found that would work, one was a mini fridge with a max temp. of 39°F (3.9°C) and the other was a wine cooler with a minimum temp. of 41°F (5°C). Obviously if I went with the fridge with lower temperature I would have to use the higher end of its range since I don't want to freeze the ants, and if I went with the warmer wine cooler I would have to use the lower end of it's range since I want the ants to hibernate, not just be sluggish. Either way,  the temperature would be near 40°F (4.4°C). The advantage the wine cooler might have is that I could adjust the temperature slowly up or down when putting ants in or out of hibernation. But what do y'all think? Slightly warmer side of 40°F (4.4°C) or the colder side?

Edited by Mettcollsuss, January 19 2020 - 4:24 PM.

#2 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted January 19 2020 - 7:46 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I’m in Massachusetts and for diapause I’ve kept my colonies at 48-48 degrees. Go for the wine cooler. This is what I use.

gallery_3143_1270_84592.jpeg

Edited by ConcordAntman, January 19 2020 - 7:52 PM.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#3 Offline rbarreto - Posted January 19 2020 - 8:56 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
The max temperature of the mini fridge is 4°C? I'm gona assume you ment minimum, I would go with the wine cooler as you probably want to keep the ants between 5 and 10°C.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 20 2020 - 12:32 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Either or. Since you’re based in Chicago, native ants there endure much worse temperatures than 39 degrees.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 20 2020 - 5:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Either or. Since you’re based in Chicago, native ants there endure much worse temperatures than 39 degrees.

I was thinking the same thing about ants from Chiberia.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation, temperature, hibernating, question, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users