• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID help 3 different species

id request

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vern530 - Posted January 19 2020 - 1:35 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
1. Location (on a map) of collection: Gridley ca
2. Date of collection: 1-19-2020
3. Habitat of collection: under log in very moist soil
4. Length (from head to gaster): all very small (see pics)
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:
6. Distinguishing characteristics: #2 smelled strong
7. Distinguishing behavior:
8. Nest description: under log
9. Nuptial flight time and date:

Attached Images

• 55073E10-8A77-4D76-AC62-54F5CD7C4F3F.jpeg
  • 8598A9EB-B785-42CD-8268-F699E167DF42.jpeg
  • 8FFB898E-C427-4393-8C10-88AF1EA711E7.jpeg
  • 0750CF1F-8F99-402C-B229-A1D64C55608B.png

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 19 2020 - 1:45 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

The first species is some sort of Pheidole, likely P. bicarinata, the second species is Tapinoma sessile, and the third species seems to be some sort of Monomorium, though closer photos with better lighting would be very helpful.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline Vern530 - Posted January 19 2020 - 1:58 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
That’s the best I can do.but my friend said same about first two.as for the third it is way smaller than the tetramorium I currently have but still possible and had 30-40 queens in the colony

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 19 2020 - 2:33 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

The first species is some sort of Pheidole, likely P. bicarinata, the second species is Tapinoma sessile, and the third species seems to be some sort of Monomorium, though closer photos with better lighting would be very helpful.

Pheidole bicarinata because???

Edited by gcsnelling, January 19 2020 - 2:33 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#5 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 19 2020 - 3:57 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Pheidole bicarinata because???

It was just a guess. P. bicarinata is one of the most common North American Pheidole, and the coloration and proportions seem to match. I'm not at all saying that's what they are, it was just a quick guess going off of what I'm seeing here, and I'm fully aware that more likely than not, these are a different species. In fact, the head of the major imaged seems to be too big for bicarinata, though bicarinata did earn the common name Variable Big-Headed Ant in Mark Deyrup's Ants of Florida, just due to how ridiculously variable the species can be, though, this does refer to the variable coloration. However (again), I did stumble across some majors today during sampling of my yard that did seem to have fairly large heads in comparison to the individuals I normally see, so there is likely at least some variability in head size, and body shape and proportions as a whole, which warrants a potential revision of the species as a whole and the reintroduction of some old subspecies names, or at least variations, though it is not exactly my place to decide that.

That’s the best I can do.but my friend said same about first two.as for the third it is way smaller than the tetramorium I currently have but still possible and had 30-40 queens in the colony

If the colony had 30-50 dealates present, then I am very confident in my ID of Monomorium. As for species, it is impossible to tell from these images, but California has three native Monomorium species that fit the images and description provided, minimumergatogyna, and viridium.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#6 Offline Vern530 - Posted January 19 2020 - 5:05 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
Awesome thanks for all the info I feel pretty confident I’m these ids after doing some research and compare photos online

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 19 2020 - 5:17 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Pheidole, tapinoma sessile, and monomorium.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users